Topic

DIY Beanie out of Costco Down Throw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY Beanie out of Costco Down Throw

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

See next post….

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

I have never worked with down so I though using the Costco Down Throw (CDT) would be a good way to get started. As follow a few pictures of the process of making some down beanies for my nephews and niece out of CDT.

The beanies were composed by three pieces like this sewn together. First, I traced my template over the Costco Down Throw. I made one template for each kid based on their heads dimensions. I aligned the center of my template with one of the sewn lines from CDT so at the end the project would have evenly spaced vertical lines / “baffles”.

Then I follow that line with the sewing machine to encase the down. If you don’t want too much down flying around when you cut your pieces, you can saw a second line about 0.25” outside the first line, and make your cut in between those two sewn lines (Closer to the outer line). I used a tighter than normal straight stitch.

From the same CDT fabric I cut some fabric to make some “bias tape”. I say bias tape in quotation marks as I didn’t really cut the trips on the bias, but just along the edges so I would not use as much fabric. Cutting the strips on a bias would make the edges / seams smoother, but my main objective was just to use this “tape” to conceal the raw edges of the panels.

Then I assembled the beanie by putting together the edges of the panels and encasing the raw edges with the “Bias Tape”. I sew by hand a basting stitch to keep it all together, but I assume you could also use pins. Then run the whole assemble thru the sewing machine, again I used a tight straight stitch.

And since this was for kids, I sew some appliques I found at Joann’s Fabrics to make the beanies more appealing to the kids. Overall this was a very simple project.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Very cool, thank you.  I was considering a similar project with the Costco down throw but for a very minimal pullover vest.  I’ve now found two in thrift stores for only $5 each.

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Thank you Wisner.  I think a vest would be another easy / good project for the CDT.  I do enjoy working on these kind of projects and that is the main reason I do it.  Anybody interested on the functionality only of these items is probably better off buying them from a regular store. (Unless their sizing is hard to find).   I read somewhere that the CDT does not “breath” so well.  I have used them for their intended purpose (i.e as a Throw) and I found them OK, but again I’ve seen some so-so comments when used for backpacking summer quilts.   It would be interesting to see how it would work when used to make wearable items (i.e beanies, vests, etc).   Cheers.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice! – appliques, using down throw, your design,…

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

About a year ago I made a down skirt, leggings, and mitts from one of the Costco throws – plus the scraps fit together to make this (but that’s not me in the picture, lest anyone think Erik wears skirts and leggings):

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Be seeing that hat again soon Deb.

Cool project.  Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools