Topic

DIY Backpacking Stove: An Ultralight Vortex Burner (Part 5: Pot Support)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable DIY Backpacking Stove: An Ultralight Vortex Burner (Part 5: Pot Support)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Companion forum thread to: DIY Backpacking Stove: An Ultralight Vortex Burner (Part 5: Pot Support)

In part 5, Roger Caffin shares his design for a pot support for the vortex burner as a solution for an ultralight winter DIY backpacking stove system.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Nice idea (UP, that is), but I’ll have to wait till later in the season.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I really like the triangular, collapsable pot support. Light, very stable (like a 3-legged milking stool) and compact when disassembled – not to mentioned deucedly clever.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Eric

The stability depends on two things. First, the triangular support. That much is obvious.

But it also depends on the stiff 3-ply base and the clips holding the pot support. They prevent any movement of the bottom of the legs. it turns out that the base and clips are very important.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Rog,

Yes, it’s necessary to have that plywood base for stove support in winter but using an aluminum base for only the stove (to reduce overall 3-season weight) means the three leg support won’t wobble when set on decently level ground. Most sit-on-ground stoves these days use three legs for this reason.

I once made a round 1/8″ plywood base with small aluminum leg “grips” for my MSR Dragonfly stove for winter use until an aftermarket plastic stove/fuel bottle holder hit the market.

Many backpackers are irredeemable tinkerers, thankfully.

Eric B.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Many backpackers are irredeemable tinkerers, thankfully.

Huh? Do you mean some are not???  :)

Fettucini al Fungi for dinner. Back from trip last night. Sub-zero every night – meant to be early summer.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools