Topic

DIY Backpacking Stove: An Ultralight Vortex Burner (Part 1- Background and Theory)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable DIY Backpacking Stove: An Ultralight Vortex Burner (Part 1- Background and Theory)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Companion forum thread to: DIY Backpacking Stove: An Ultralight Vortex Burner (Part 1- Background and Theory)

In part 1, Roger Caffin explores the theory behind using a vortex burner as a solution for an ultralight winter stove system.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

And the good Sheriff Caffin rides again!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

More stoves, more stoves, gotta have more stoves …

Cheers

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

Good show. Damn good show.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

So as a Caffin Stove happy camper, I need to ask what is the end game of this Vortex design? Fuel efficiency, play nice with bigger pots, audible noise feedback, or just fun with stoves?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

What an interesting question!

Well … it did start partly with an itch about 100% MYOG, and the aesthetics of it all – as discussed at some length in this Part 1. It was ‘unfinished business’ as it were.

But as I mention right at the end – having established that I could make a good Vortex burner using the 38 mm Ti tube I had, it naturally followed that I should make some. If the logic here is not obvious, then it can’t be explained. :-) I guess that could be ‘just fun with stoves’.

Good fuel efficiency depends on complete combustion and good heat transfer into the pot. Most canister stoves can do that if you don’t run them flat out. Really fast boil time means a slightly lower efficiency.

Play nice with bigger pots – yeah, as a secondary goal, not a primary goal.

Noisy operation – no, that was never a significant factor. It just happens with the Vortex design.

Cheers

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Fascinating stuff Roger, looking forward to the rest.

One thought – if the vortex chamber is red hot then it is well above the Draper point and all that heat wants to go somewhere!

cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Stuart

Oh definitely – well above. It GLOWS!
    A lot of the heat goes upwards of course, hitting the bottom of the pot. This is good. Some of the heat goes sideways, and a bit of that can warm the canister. Within obvious limits, that too is useful, especially in real cold weather.

Anyhow, more to come.

Cheers

The Ebbo
    BPL Member

@ebbo

Locale: Kosciusko Main Range, Bogong High Plains

Nice read, Looking forward to the rest of this epic mission!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Ebbo

Thanks. The rest is coming.

Cheers

Joshua Stillwell
    BPL Member

@bearjosh

Locale: Central California

I loved the thorough explanation of the design process.  Really gives an engineers perspective on designing something.  Really cool.  My questions about the whole project is weight.  Beyond the aesthetics of a Caffin design, and the coolness of being released on BPL, is there really that much of a weight savings with this Caffin Vortex?  In the end my bottom line is always weight, and I kept wondering if the weight savings is truly worth the effort.  Sometimes its worth doing it just to do it, I agree, and I’m supportive of any MYOG no matter what, but the weight question comes to me generally.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Josh

Ah well, you have to compare the weight of my finished stove with the weight of a commercial vortex stove to answer that. We haven’t got that far yet … :-), so I will simply say (at this stage) that I found the weight savings huge.

There were several other reasons for doing it: the ‘universal’ canister connector was a big one for me, to handle trips around the world. That was covered in the previous series. The dual valving for better control was another. A better pot support for big pots was yet another – that has yet to appear.

But do I really need a huge business ROI case to ‘follow my nose’ here? I am a career research physicist, with a severe case of ‘need to know’. As I am retired, I have the time (and facilities) to fill that need.  :)  :)  :)

Cheers

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Love it Roger…sorry for the delay…out camping much of June…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi James
    Thanks. Now read Part2 !It’s been great fun – better than the past week which has seen me repairing the rusted gal roof on my 100 year old barn/workshop.

Cheers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools