Topic

Disable phone LTE for more reliable texting weak cell signal?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Disable phone LTE for more reliable texting weak cell signal?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

I like to send a text to tell my wife I’m ok when I reach a spot in the backcountry where there’s phone service. I’m using Verizon on an iPhone 5s. When my phone shows 1x or 3x, texts fail, even though I’m seeing 2 or 3 bars. Sometimes texts fail even when the phone shows LTE.

This doesn’t make sense, because texts must use less bandwidth than voice. Does anyone have any workarounds? Would disabling LTE help? The phone would drop back to 2G or 3G, which might be reliable. I could also disable iMessage and turn off MMS, so the text would go as an SMS which might be more tolerant of a poor connection.

Any ideas?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have the same phone and I think turning off iMessage works

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

I’ve tried turning off iMessage. Not conclusive.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I’ve been there.

my understanding is that sometimes you’ll see weak signals but they’re not necessarily signals you can use other than for 911.

years ago with an AT&t phone on top of Mount Whitney, I was trying to send a text but couldn’t even with four bars while other people were texting and talking ….

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Instead of turning off iMessage, turn off both WiFi and Cellular Data and try that. Don’t turn these off by using Airplane Mode, leave that off. You can turn off MMS too, but not sure that’s necessary if you’re just sending text.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’ve had such apparently sufficient signals fail to send texts, while phone calls worked perfectly.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Some good tips. Thanks. I’ll try them next time I’m out in Desolation.

john syrell
    BPL Member

@rottenweiler

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools