Topic

Dirty Girl Gaiter to go with pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dirty Girl Gaiter to go with pants?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Almog
    BPL Member

@almog

I’d like to buy short gaiters, instead of taking my high OR Rocky  Mountain with me to Kungsleden this fall.

Looking through Dirty Girl Gaiter’s website, I couldn’t find any photo of them being used with pants rather than shorts/tights.

Has anyone here who been using them with pants can tell of their experience?

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

I sometimes tuck my pant leg into them. I feel like it works well.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I think their gaiters are designed to be worn primarily with shorts/tights. They do a great job of keeping rocks and dirt out of trail runners. I started wearing Railriders Ecomesh while hiking about a year ago and I continue to wear my gaiters with them. I suspect they aren’t doing as much work as when I wear shorts but my shoes stay rock free and I’m happy. I let my pants fall over the outside of them.

Almog
    BPL Member

@almog

Thanks for the feedback.

Moderate mud and high wear in the pants’ scuff is pretty much all I remember from hiking gaiters-less in Lapland 2 years ago; Well, that’s from the narrow perspective of gaiters of course, there were great deal of marvelous things to see there besides that!

So, I get the feeling that Dirty Girl Gaiters might not work to well as a scuff protection to pants (Prana Zion) unless I follow Ryan’s suggestion.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I sometimes tuck my pant leg into them. I feel like it works well.

+1

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

I let my pants fall over the outside of them.

This is the same thing I do most of the time. It’s cooler this way on the feet. And while tucking the pants in works fine too, if there’s a lot of high-stepping or bushwhacking the pants tend to fall out easily. The Dirty Girl Gaiters do keep rocks and dirt out well, unless it’s really steep side hill hiking were a small gap can sometimes open up on the sides and let rocks in, although YMMV depending on how much side overlap the gaiters have with your shoes.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

My boyfriend tucks his pants into them. I think it looks ridiculous.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I don’t understand the question. It does not make a difference if you have pants or shorts with the gaiters. I wouldn’t tuck your pants into them as your pants are much more durable than the fabric of the dirty girls. I think that would also restrict ventilation as well.

Almog
    BPL Member

@almog

Justin, I was asking whether or not Dirty Girl Gaiters go well with pants since I ever only seen tights/shorts mentioned.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

My boyfriend tucks his pants into them. I think it looks ridiculous.

I saw a guy doing this recently. The gaiters were something like yellow/purple paisley which made them especially hideous. :^)

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

Dirty Girl Gaiters are designed to keep rocks, pebbles, dust, etc from entering shoes irregardless if one’s wearing pants or shorts. They’re not designed for leg or pant protection while bushwhacking like most gaiter’s are designed for. Since DGG started with runners in mind, yes, there’s going to be more photos of people wearing shorts. There’s not going to be a lot of photos of people wearing pants over the gaiters because, well, if you’re taking photos of the gaiters you’re not going to be able to see them if they’re covered with pants.

I wear my DDG with both pants and shorts.  They work exactly as intended for.  I use pants in high poison oak areas.  Sure, pants offer a little added protection for the shoes as they cover the shoes somewhat, but the gaiters are still nice to have as pant bottoms don’t prevent debris from getting into the shoes.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

you can see Mike Clelland wearing dirty girl gaiters with his long pants in the third video down on his blog ultralight video ( BACKPACKING CLOTHING )  series, dirty girl gaiters are very lightweight and thin material meant for keeping debris out of your shoes not really for heavy duty use.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is a BPL review ULTRALIGHT GAITERS: STATE OF THE MARKET REPORT 2013 it includes dirty girl gaiters

Jake J
    BPL Member

@psykokid

Locale: Socal

I have some OR running gaiters I wear with pants just to keep rocks and other associated garbage out of my shoes. Really helped out when I did Register Ridge on Baldy this past weekend. A lot of the trails around here in the front country of Angeles National Forest are rife with Poison Oak. I could wear shorts on a lot of my hikes but I choose to wear pants just for that extra bit of protection. Plus if I decide to bushwhack to check out a feature off trail I dont have to worry about my legs getting torn up.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

I mostly tuck pants in when they are getting wet from a bit of moisture on the ground, shrubs, etc…I have a somewhat baggy pair of hiking pants. The gaiters don’t protect the pants at all…other than some moisture.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Interesting observation about the moisture Ryan. I always thought that leaving the pants untucked is better when hiking through wet brush. If untucked, the pant bottoms get wet and drip around the outside of the ankles, providing a bit of an umbrella effect over the ankles. But if the pants are tucked into the Dirty Girl gaiters, then water can wick down into the shoes more easily and directly. I’ve never split tested this scientifically, but it makes sense. The same principle should apply to rock, dirt and debris too.

Wearing baggy drab REI Sahara pants and a drab colored sun shirt, I actually prefer tucking the pant bottoms inside the gaiters to sport a splash of color (as long as it’s not too hot out). Maybe it brings back fond memories of the 80’s when everyone wore wildly colored Lycra while rock climbing, but the more colorful the gaiters the better.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

Most trail runners are very breathable because of the mesh.  When walking through heavy wet grass, the feet are going to get soaking wet with or without pants or gaiters after about a mile. That’s what always happens to me.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I saw a guy doing this recently. The gaiters were something like yellow/purple paisley which made them especially hideous. :^)

For a while my boyfriend had dirty girls that were black with a barely visible shiny snakeskin pattern. To me they looked like something you’d wear to the discotheque with your rollerskates, your shirt unbuttoned to your navel and a big gold chain. …I’m in big trouble now.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

For a while my boyfriend had dirty girls that were black with a barely visible shiny snakeskin pattern. To me they looked like something you’d wear to the discotheque with your rollerskates, your shirt unbuttoned to your navel and a big gold chain. …I’m in big trouble now.

lol, well there’s room for all types but I think we’re in the ‘totally under the radar’ camp.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools