Topic

Didn't I pay for no ads?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Didn't I pay for no ads?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

I know we have discussed this in some form or another before. But I just need a straight answer. I seem to remember, that I as a lifetime members had the privilege of having no ads at all. Do I remember wrong?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No. But terms were then rewritten to say less ads.

Matt Orr
    BPL Member

@matto

Install adblock … its free and you will not see any ads at all.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

^ yep, that’s what I do.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Install adblock … its free and you will not see any ads at all.”

For now, anyway. Some sites nowadays have code that detects ad blockers, and pops up a message basically saying either remove the site from the ad blocker or you can’t read the content.

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

Ad blockers aren’t standing still, they do try to create work arounds such codes (for example it seems Adblock Plus is not as easy to detect as Adblock…)

But the use of adblockers around the world is growing every year, and when there is a demand to use them, hopefully there’ll be a supply :)

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

“No. But terms were then rewritten to say less ads.”

Thanks. I just wanted to clear it up. – So, basically BPL just doesn’t stand by their words. Got it.

“Install adblock … its free and you will not see any ads at all”

Yep, i use an Ad Blocker too. But that’s on my PC. What about smartphones? (android)

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Download ad blocker browser for android.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Thank you bj, I’ll try it out.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

We’ve had adblockers on iOS since the update last fall. 1Blocker is doing a fine job of keeping BPL ad free for me.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Just used it a little bit. It works fine. Thanks again bj.

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

The solution to ad-block detection code is to run an anti-anti-adblocker, of course.

http://reek.github.io/anti-adblock-killer/ works well, though you need to have a pretty high level of technical chops to use it.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Michael,

Thanks for the link.

BPL isn’t there yet, but sad to say, it wouldn’t surprise me if it comes to that.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks Michael, wish I had continued with an early interest in computing and programming when I was in high school, instead of dedicating my late teen years to getting high and not much else! Right now, the only site I’ve encountered the adblocking blocker (I use Ghostery on the Mac, and Distilled on iOS) is Wired, which I generally get around by using an RSS aggregator (Reeder) to read stories I’m interested in.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I don’t spend much time on the Web, other than BPL. It is ludicrous that I would need to use an Ad Blocker on a site I pay to read. Of course, as has been the case the last few years, the change was made without fanfare or announcement.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

BPL is migrating to a new web site, as you all know. This does include some advertising in the ‘google-ads’ sense. It was meant to be fairly mild, but a check box in the config file defaulted to ON when it should have been OFF. Ryan is fixing this now.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

BPL is migrating to a new web site, as you all know. This does include some advertising in the ‘google-ads’ sense. It was meant to be fairly mild, but a check box in the config file defaulted to ON when it should have been OFF. Ryan is fixing this now.

Roger,

I rarely disagree with you, but come on. Ryan is light years ahead of me when it comes to technology. I have a WordPress website and any time I install ad-ons or widgets, I always test everything. I’m sure Ryan does this too.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

” I rarely disagree with you, but come on. Ryan is light years ahead of me when it comes to technology. I have a WordPress website and any time I install ad-ons or widgets, I always test everything. I’m sure Ryan does this too.

Or should.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I suspect Ryan didn’t anticipate the push back over ads inside of posts.

Mark Bishop
    BPL Member

@mark_b

Locale: Northwest (WA)

This thread is a couple months old so I hope no one objects to me raising the same question.  I thought with a lifetime membership I could opt out of the ads but after checking my account profile I don’t see a way to shut them off.  Anyone figured out how to do this?

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

Did you get the free upgrade to the unlimited ads plan ?

Mark Bishop
    BPL Member

@mark_b

Locale: Northwest (WA)

If there was an upgrade offer to an ad free plan I don’t remember seeing it.   I already have an unlimited membership but I don’t see a way to switch off the ads which was an option prior to the website migration.

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

There was a limited time offer to take a refund if the change in terms for the life time memberships was unacceptable.

I used to be a member. Now I’m not. I still have found memories about all of the extra benefits and exclusive offers I’m missing out on.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools