Topic

DeLorme inreach users ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DeLorme inreach users ??

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Quick question for the folks who own either SE or Explorer. Are you satisfied with the units you purchased and if you were to do it again would you upgrade to the Explorer, save some money and get the SE or go for another option besides the DeLorme.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Have you seen this? SE or Explorer from Andrew Skurka’s blog. Read the comments below the article too.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I am looking into an Inreach as well but am hoping they release an updated model this spring.  The explorer doesn’t seem to do the GPS thing very well but is no weight or size penalty over the SE.  I don’t use a gps but there are times when one might be nice if it was with something I am already carrying.

We used an Inreach in Alaska this summer to communicate to our bush pilot about a different pick up location.  Typing a message in was kind of slow but it worked like a champ and we got confirmation that he got the new location.

We we also turned it on the last day when he was supposed to pick us up and he sent us a message that he was running a few hours behind.

For that application a sat phone might have been better but the Inreach got the job done.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

Another good discussion by Andrew on the recommendations

Great comments follow his recommendations.  I have the Explorer, and for the extra $80 it was well worth it for not having to worry if I should of gotten the upgraded model.

K

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

SE user here, and happy with that selection.  The SE model can display my current coordinates, and translating those to a paper map is but the work of a moment.  I consider this far more effective than trying to use the displays on the devices themselves, and that is why I didn’t choose the Explorer.

The difference in hardware (e.g. compass, barometric altimeter) might have swayed me if the price difference was less.

-J

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

I bought an inReach Explorer and it is fine. There are a couple hypothetical situations where I can see the extra features as being very useful, but so far I haven’t really touched them. I’m glad I went with the Explorer but probably wouldn’t have any regrets if I bought the SE instead.

I can say that I am very happy I went with the inReach over Spot though. As the ability to communicate a last minute change in plans has been liberating. Previously I was obligated to stick pretty close to the route and time table I originally planned, but now I can let people at home know I’m going a totally different place and staying out a day or two longer.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I bought the inReach Se when it first came out but as soon as the Explorer was released I upgraded.  The Explorer (eventually) had all of the features that I wanted in a combined navigation and communication device and it allows me to leave my GPS at home.

If you are a GPS geek like I am, then the Explorer is worth it.  The important add-ons for me were the waypoints and tracking (by tracking, I mean the bread-crumb tracks at 1 sec intervals not the 10 minute tracking).  Being able to “upload” and “Download” a GPX file to/from the unit was of high importance to me (I like to pre-load waypoints and tracks before I leave as part of my trip planning).  It took a while for Delorme to get that right but I was impressed with there teams efforts to get this working.  The fact that the map screen works better than my Garmin Foretrex was a bonus.

I also like the fact that waypoints are sent directly to my inReach Mapshare page via satellite… not something I would have thought too useful but my family really likes this feature.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I got th SE and I’m completely happy – though I’m primarily a map person who uses gps as an emergency back-up rather than to track my routes. I also prefer a goes with a decent map if I’m going to use one.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Wow, thanks all for the thoughtful answers and info so far. Just the feedback I was looking for. Will look forward to any other input to come.

jimmyb

Dan Geiger
    Spectator

@strat

Love my explorer i have never missed a message.I hike solo a lot so being able to catch up at home in the evening is good for my peace of mind .Had the Spots and never felt confident my messages were getting through.I wonder if Mike W lives near me i could use some guidance on the GPS feature hmmmm

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I have had an Explorer since they first came out, and I would definitely buy that one again.  I tend not to demand alot of electronics except ease of use and reliability, and the Explorer has satisfied those demands – although it took a bit of practice to get there.  I do use the GPS function to confirm what I usually already know from the map, and if a luddite like me can make it work, anyone can.  Messages nearly always travel both ways with no uncertainty, tho there have been a few times when for some inexplicable reason one didn’t get through.  I like the available plan options and have been happy with the ability to revert to a still-functional but standby mode in the winter months, then ratchet up to a higher-volume plan in the summer.

Most of my backcountry travels are solo, and this device buys my family peace of mind.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

inReach SE, Explorer, or other? It depends on your needs.

I’m a reasonably happy inReach SE user who would rather carry a stack of maps and a compass than depend on any failure-prone electronic gadget to tell me where I am or need to go. So the extra expense and complexity of the Explorer doesn’t attract me.

The inReach SE is a good two-way communications and tracking device, which helps keep my wife happy. Bonus benefit: I have a jagged track of my wanderings waiting online when I get home.

I’m a little concerned that the battery capacity of my 18-month-old replacement inReach SE seems much lower than when brand new (and which never lived up to DeLorme’s 100/120 hour claims). Now I seem to be chewing through 25-30% in one short day with 10-minute tracking, but haven’t paid close enough attention to rule out other factors. Just bought a small battery pack as backup insurance, another 79 grams on my back (ouch)!

I haven’t surveyed the market in a few years, so a new, different device might be better for my needs.

YMMV.

— Rex

Peter H
    BPL Member

@stickler64

Locale: Sacramento

Happy with my SE. Can’t imagine using that screen to navigate. It was the cheapest/ best option that I found. My wife really likes getting a message at the end of the day just letting her know that I’m OK. I hate the weight and it does take some practice, but the peace of mind is well worth it. The fact that I can use it for one month at a time, instead of a full year subscription was what tipped the scale for me. I’m much happier with the two way capabilities the Inreach affords me over a Spot.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I have the SE, and was very happy with it when doing the Timberline Trail solo.  I definitely found the Earthmate app on my cell phone to be the best way to interact with the unit, as I carry my cell phone in an easily available pocket, and this allowed me to leave the SE attached to my backpack with the antenna at the highest point. I don’t know what to do with a GPS unit, and deliberately got the less expensive device because of it.  I am starting to learn how to use the Gaia app on my phone, but honestly, don’t quite see what it gives me over what the InReach already does.  I’m not concerned about downloading tracks to show other people on the web, and I don’t travel off-trail much if any.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Very happy with the SE. I can confirm location on map with GPS coordinates if needed. Also I carry an iPhone with GPS on it. Primary navigation is always a map though.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I’m also super happy with my SE.  It’s been through 2 JMTs, 1 CT and several Big Bend hikes (among countless other random trips) without any issues at all.  I’ve never not had a message go through, and it’s helped me coordinate any and all change of plans with ease.  It was also super nice to be able to keep in touch with my family this summer while I was on the CT – my mom has been quite sick for the past 18 months and it was wonderful to still be able to get out on my trip yet know that if anything happened I’d know about it right away and could start heading home.

Anyway – I have not at all felt the need to switch to the Explorer, the SE does everything I want it to and nothing I don’t.  But then again, I have Gaia on my iPhone if I really need some kind of GPS device….

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Been using the SE for a few years. Having built in maps would be nice but honestly I prefer using paper and already have Gaia GPS.

Word of caution: For the most part I have had good success with the SE but it has failed on me a couple of times. Twice it has malfunctioned and would not turn on requiring a soft reset (which I did not know how to do in the field). Not a good thing to happen in the bush or up in the Arctic. Luckily we were never in a position to need it for an emergency when that happened.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I have the SE.

One complaint I have is that you can’t use any of the device’s functionality if it isn’t active. Mine is inactivate between trips (easy to do in Canada). Last week I re-subscribed on the website, left for a trip with the intention of activating the device via satellite but found out it wouldn’t activate once I was out there.  A few times on that trip I wanted my coordinates, which the device could easily have given me, but Delorme locks out the device if you’re not paying for messaging.

Turns out the website glitched and said my request to activate had gone through when it hadn’t. So everything turned out fine and I ended up saving money, but still the device should be usable for GPS, time, elevation etc. even when you’re not paying for messaging.

To address the top at hand, all I ever want is my coordinates to transfer to paper so I don’t have much interest in the SE. Once in a while the ability to make a waypoint is nice so I don’t have to jot coordinates on the map. If the SE could handle a few waypoints that would be nice.

The battery seems good while the unit is off. I turned the unit off mid-September and turned it back on this week (late Dec) and it was at 93%. So it loses about 2%/month while off which is pretty good.

tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Locale: midwest

SE user,

The ability to keep in contact with my wife allows me to stay out longer.I’d prefer to not carry any electronics ,but if carrying this make my wife less worried about where i am then so be it.

It DID get me taken off the PCT in Washington last summer as the fires, being on the news, got her all worried and so I turned around a day north of Hwy 20.But I get to finish sans smoke soon I hope

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Another happy SE user — but my choice was easy because I wasn’t interested in the GPS functions, just the tracking/texting.  It was a “no contest” versus the SPOT, since 2-way communication is what I really wanted (YMMV).  Zero regrets!

Brian Curtis
    BPL Member

@nazanne

I have the SE, but I bought it before the Explorer was released so I didn’t have to make the choice. I am very much a GPS geek and it feels a bit weird, but these days I’m carrying 3 GPSrs (InReach SE, Garmin Epix watch, iPhone with Gaia App). Of course I also carry a paper map and compass but most often use the altimeter on the Epix and virtually never use the compass. The Explorer has mapping, keeps tracks,has and a barometric altimeter so it would allow me to shed my Epix, but I do like having a watch so I don’t feel any desire to upgrade and would wear the Epix anyway.

I think the InReach is far superior to the SPOT. I had a friend who got caught out overnight. He sent an OK message with his SPOT but he had no way of knowing that his message never went out. The InReach will tell you if the message fails to send and that would have made a huge difference in this particular situation. He immediately dumped his SPOT and bought an InReach.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Dan,

“One complaint I have is that you can’t use any of the device’s functionality if it isn’t active. “

very good to know. When putting too much reliance on one piece of gear little glitches like that can be easily overlooked without good user feedback. Thanks.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I have the SE and like it over the spot. One thing that baffles me.  Why would a company make a survival product without interchangeable batteries?  Carrying and replacing a couple of batteries is much better than carrying chargers, wires, and waiting for both to recahrge in an emergency.  What were they thinking?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

When you send a “SOS” do you get a “received” reply from the Command Center”?

Can you text the Command Center with situational information before you send a “SOS”?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

>> When you send a “SOS” do you get a “received” reply from the Command Center”?

Can you text the Command Center with situational information before you send a “SOS”? <<

Yes and in my mind, that’s one of the compelling reason to go with the inReach communicators over a Spot or PLB.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/why-inreach/sos.php

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools