Topic

Dealing with Mental Lows on Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Dealing with Mental Lows on Trail

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Maggie Slepian
    BPL Member

@maggieslepian-2

Companion forum thread to: Dealing with Mental Lows on Trail

Maggie Slepian uses past experiences on trail to push through rough days on Colorado’s challenging Collegiate West.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thanks for sharing, though it can’t be easy to divulge that info. To me those symptoms need a psychiatric diagnosis and treatment plan, something you don’t mention at all.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Somehow the hard moments and days make the good ones so much more precious. My go-to thoughts when times are tough is “Everything changes” and “Nothing lasts forever.” They are twofers: the bad times won’t last, enjoy the good times while you can.

Funny how Type II fun works. And sometimes Type III fun doesn’t look so bad in the rear view mirror – even if you never want to do THAT again. A learning opportunity.

Staying in the moment helps tremendously – you can’t change the past, and the future isn’t here yet. Not easy, takes continuous practice. I’m getting a lot of chances to practice lately.

Thanks for your storytelling courage.

— Rex

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Good article.  I don’t think that you can ever lose your troubles on a hike.  Seems to me you always carry them with you.  But one thing a hike pretty much forces you to do is keep putting one foot in front of the other…despite what ever troubles you are carrying along.  And after a while, sometimes you are lucky enough to realize that you are doing exactly that: putting one foot in front of the other. You are moving along…maybe even moving on.

That’s a good feeling.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

+2 on What Paul and Rex said.   Thanks for posting this.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Thanks Maggie for this great article.

Adventure Muffin
    BPL Member

@adventuremuffin

Locale: www.youtube.com/user/AdventureMuffin

Hi Maggie,

Kudos on you for your insightful walking meditation.  I experience these mental angst as well as I set off to hike for days at a time alone and sometimes without seeing another soul for a week at a time.  And I am starting to enjoy even this.  The emotional pain is my brain telling me I have some things to be aware of and to let it work on change in order to find that zone of contentment I so long for.  My last trip came up with some duzy solutions too, which I am enacting.   Non the less, I start looking at this digital detox on the trail as a walking meditation, observing my thoughts as I learn to not react to them.

David

Adventure Muffin
    BPL Member

@adventuremuffin

Locale: www.youtube.com/user/AdventureMuffin

I fully disagree.  This type of mental activity is normal when spending long time alone.  Try it sometime, then critique.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Many people think that the trail, the time in nature, the break from daily life, will alleviate their angst and troubles, when oftentimes – and for me personally – it gives you time to focus on them instead of avoiding them. You confront who you are, without the veneer you wear day to day, and it’s tough. You realize what a jerk you are, and remember all your mistakes, the bad things you said. Nothing can hide when day after day you are alone with your thoughts. I find myself grieving those who have died; that work is never over, it seems. I still do find time in nature healing, but you have to find ways to take a break from those painful thoughts. I sing, sleep more, recite poetry, or chat with other hikers, to get a break from thinking. Journaling too, is helpful. It does give us a chance to work things out, which may not be possible in busy daily life, but easy is not the word for it.

Paul G
    BPL Member

@rocketdog

Thanks for sharing this personal story Maggie. And now I have another trail to add to my shortlist!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools