Topic

Day Pack or Small Backpack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Day Pack or Small Backpack?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Randy S
    BPL Member

@preacher

The wife and I are doing the “Tour du Mont Blanc” thing this summer–it is’t a backpacking trip, it is more a “Wine & Cheese” tour with 100+ miles and a lot of climbing. I need to pick up a “Day Pack” to carry the obligatory odds and ends. My main pack is a HyperLite 4400 Southwest and I love it. I’m a big guy at 6’4″/240# and the large frame fits me wonderfully…can’t say enough good things about that pack. I am looking at Hyperlite’s Daybreak pack…but then I got to wondering about a smaller version of my Southwest in their 2400 model.

17 liters vs 40…  But the 2400 SW would have more utility over time on shorter, summertime trips with less gear/food/water than the 4400 will carry.

Any thoughts on a 40 liter “Daypack?”

thanks,

rds

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

40L is a lot for a day pack, but if it compresses well when not full, then it could work just fine.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

My wife and I have done the TMB and SWCP in England in similar luxury with near daily main luggage transfers to our nightly accommodations and our 36L Gossamer Gear Murmurs were perfect size for us to carry wine in Platyz and picnic foods in addition day hiking necessities. Room to spare actually.

Nick Garcia
    BPL Member

@saltamontes

Locale: South Florida

Doing TMB 1st week of July and taking an Ultimate Direction Fastpack25

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The current logo on that ud pack is obnoxiously yuge

Benny H
    BPL Member

@benh509

Locale: PNW

I’ve never done a trip like that before. But I would tend to go with the pack that would be more useful in the long term. Extra space wouldn’t be a trip killer. But an expensive, small backpack going mostly unused after the trip would be a tough pill to swallow for me. Good luck with the trip!

David P
    BPL Member

@dwpyle

My wife and I are doing the Walker’s Haute Route this summer. We are doing it self-supported so will need to carry all our gear, but will be staying in hotels and huts so no shelter and only minimal food. I went through the pack size dilemma and decided on a 40L pack as it will be more useful in the future.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

@DavidP

Just make sure you have full storm gear. You might not need it, but then again

This was MID-SUMMER on the Tour du Mont Blanc, at the Col du Croix du Bonhomme. It’s the Alps, and weather happens…

Cheers

David P
    BPL Member

@dwpyle

Thanks. We’ve hiked the Swiss Alps the last three summers, mostly day hikes with a few 3 day hut trips. Always carried storm rain gear but luckily have had good weather. I’ve been debating whether to take microspikes, looking at that picture I think we will.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Microspikes? Personally, I would not bother. We found the snow was either dry and crunchy, straight after falling, which was fine for joggers, or softer (and wetter) after a day or two. I don’t think we ever met the sort of ice you might need spikes for. It is summer after all.

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I like a 24-ish liter day pack. The smaller ones ride too high and tend to get full which means to less comfort. I like Gossamer Grears day packs and find that they are one of the few UL pack makers that make good shoulder straps that don’t collapse and pinch. Their Minimalist 24 pack is 11oz and $59.

https://www.gossamergear.com/collections/backpacks/products/minimalist-24-daypack

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools