Topic

Day hikes/runs around San Diego?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Day hikes/runs around San Diego?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

We’ll be in San Diego doing the family Christmas thing but I can only sit around that long. I don’t mind driving a ways to the trailhead. I am looking for a couple of hikes, on one of them dogs should be allowed, the other would be for a dogless trailrun. Loops are fun but in and out are good too. Any suggestions?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Huge area. Where more or less?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Ah yes. I have never been there but we are staying with a niece not far from La Jolla Shores. Near 5 and 52?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

from La Jolla you are about a 60-75 minute drive to the PCT up in Laguna MT Recreation Area. (this is National Forest, though much of San Diego NF country has very few trees). Very nice uncrowded (almost empty) hiking or running. — note this area is in our mountains, elevation from 5,000 to 6,000 ft. so it may be a bit cooler, but no snow so far this year.

if that is too far a drive, there is Mission Trails Regional Park, which is about  15-18 minutes from where you will be staying. Can be more crowded but dogs are allowed on leash on all trails. Lots of hill work there if you are in to that. There are 5 mini mountains within the park with trails to all summits and nice views at the top. This is one of the largest urban open space parks in the country. They have a web site with a trail map on it. Or you could drop by the visitor center and pick up a free map (this visitor center is better than some national parks have.)   https://mtrp.org/

for a dog free beach run you could drive to Torrey Pines State Park and run on the sand between the water and cliffs for up to several miles (popular). 10-15 minute drive for you.

I can add more if you want more.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Torrey Pines SP stretch of beach is really beautiful.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

https://goo.gl/maps/qsqd1kNqruE2

network of hidden away trails here.  done many runs throughout.

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

you could also try Iron Mountain off of HWY 67 and poway road. about the same timing as Mission trail. Dogs on leash, 3 miles to the top and 900 ft. gain. weekends very crowded, week days not to bad. the earlier the better.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks so much everyone. I will look these over before we head down late next week.

@Dave
    better catch that beach on a low tide, eh?

@terry
    that sounds like a good one to do with the (older) kids and their dogs. Thanks!

@Michael
    , will look this up. Thank you

@Art that is some really good information. I really appreciate it!

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

I’ve done the Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve wile out there before – nice 7 mile stretch with a cool waterfall. Dogs allowed.

https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/parks/osp/lospenasquitos

YouTube video

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

Gonna do a small hijack of this thread.  We just rented a camper van over the holiday for san diego. And now need to decide where to take it.  We will have two preteen kids in tow.  I’d like to get in a nice trail run somewhere, and a hike or two with the kids.

Where would y’all recommend going with a camper van for a couple nights that is less than a half day drive from San Diego?

Many thanks

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Michael

here are 2 suggestions :

1. Laguna Mt Recreation Area, same one I recommended to Kat. there are campgrounds up there and not crowded this time of year. there is over 30 miles of the PCT right thru the area, there is forest, chapparel, great views of the desert, many other trails that are not PCT, a general store, etc. altitude is 5-6,000 ft, so it could be a bit cool, but no snow so far this year.
    2. but my personal first choice would be Joshua Tree Nat. Park. its about 2.5 hrs from San Diego (depending on your start point). You should enter the park from the north side at the town of Joshua Tree. Lots of camping (though it may be close to full even in winter). Lots of hiking, running, rock scrambling. The Desert is beautiful. J-Tree is a mecca for climbers in the winter, so if you are not a climber you can at least watch a few. Also the camping is about a half hour from town, if you need supplies or crave civilization. p.s. there is a campground called Black Rock (I think) I would not recommend this one if you want to appreciate the real park, it has a lot of amenities but is basically in town. Good campgrounds up in the park are Hidden Valley, Jumbo Rocks (the biggest one). if its cold you can stay in Indian Cove, its nice there but sort of separate from the rest of the park so would not recommend unless its cold. There are other campgrounds but they are small and isolated. p,s, —- there is NO water in the park, except in Black Rock.

hope this helps

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools