Topic

Day hike shelter for 5

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Day hike shelter for 5

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mikko Sinisalo
    BPL Member

@mikkosinisalo

Any ideas for a lightweight shelter with the following requirements?

• Used in forest, freestanding or not, doesn’t matter
    • protects from rain, wind and snow
    • no floor
    • 5 adults can sit in it, for breaks on day hikes
    • looking for something under 4 lbs

If it’s impossible to find one lightweight model to fit 5 sitting, maybe two smaller ones next to each other, or two lean-tos facing could work?

I’ve looked at My Trail Pyramid 4 and Nigor WickiUp 4, but how are the mid’s walls if we wan’t to sit facing the center?

My Trail Pyramid 4

Nigor WickiUp 4

I’ve never seen or used tents in this size and mid shapes, so any help, any other suggestions, please?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Would a tarp not work?  is it so windy you need sidewalls?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’d vote for a big flat tarp or two. Even in silnylon you could do this at around a pound per tarp.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Just get a lightweight bothy bag if all you’re using it for is breaks and snacks. They’re perfect for that use.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I think a 9×9 pyramid would work, but be a little tight for 5 hikers eating lunch. I think a pyramid would be better than a bothy bag for rain, not as good in high winds, probably about equal for snow. A few makers have 10×10 pyramids, one of those would definitely have enough room. Flat tarps would be more work to set up than a pyramid.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Depends also on the forest… A 10’x10’x72″ mid is hhhyyuuuuggge. Footprint and height could be an issue in a forested area depending on density of canopy.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Trailstar. There is a photo here somewhere with at least six full size guys under one.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Trailstar sounds good.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

But of course. ☝️

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

As above; get a big bothy-bag, a 6 to 8P bothy shelter is light enough and room to spread out the lunch.

If you use hiking poles just prop the middle up with an extended pole or two, ditto for the 4 corners

Mikko Sinisalo
    BPL Member

@mikkosinisalo

Thanks everyone! I should have said that this is for a relaxed guiding with “normal” people, so I have to consider comfort as well, but I’m asking from you because I do my personal adventures with your kind of mindset.

Bigger tarp might do it. Google image search for group tarp gives ideas. One thing I’m not sure is wind-driven rain and snow, so walls on three sides anchored down and one open side for a view to lake would be perfect. Doesn’t these kind of things always tend to go to the MYOG route ;)

I feel like the comfort and level of my service requires something a bit more substantial than the bothys, like Rab’s Group Shelters. I’ve never seen those, just judging by the photos.

The winds we experience here in Southern Finland aren’t too strong and the forest gives protection, but the chilling factor and wind-driven rain and snow is why I’m looking for walls.

I have a Lunar Duo, which is almost 10 feet long, so 10×10 mid should be ok. Being too high isn’t a concern.

I’m having hard time judging the Trailstar from photos, it either looks just perfect or absolutely not. The roof angles seem low and the height very low, if pitched for better protection. Could it be pitched with the rear against ground and the door side higher? The door also looks low, it doesn’t have to be walk in, but neither on all fours is desired.

Thanks for the food for thought!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

” I feel like the comfort and level of my service requires something a bit more substantial than the bothys, like Rab’s Group Shelters. I’ve never seen those, just judging by the photos.”

http://www.summitgear.co.uk/product/supalite-bothy-bag-4-person/

Click on Testimonials

YouTube video

YouTube video

“… for relaxed guiding with “normal” people…”

Ahhh, pardon me  …

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Crammed bothys may be a little tight but one larger than minimum is cosy rather than crowded and the difference in weight between a 6P and an 8P would mean a lot of room for very little extra weight. Granted a tarp means you can stand up but if using a tarp you should also take along a smaller separate tarp to use as a windbreak and eat on the leeward side or take a much bigger tarp with a side pegged down to the ground, a long rectangle rather than a flying diamond pitch.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I don’t know anything about 3F, but I’ve heard about Chinese so-called waterproof fabrics that started leaking fairly soon after purchase.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Just wondering…

Why do these bothys (bothies?) have tube shaped openings? I’m guessing it’s because you can get ventilation with the tube sagging down keeping rain out but maybe there is another function?

Mikko Sinisalo
    BPL Member

@mikkosinisalo

Thanks everyone, I think I would’ve made the wrong choice if I didn’t ask you. Tarp seems to be the obvious choice for space and weight. I’ve never used tarps, so it wasn’t obvious to me.

I went full silly comparing 10×10 mid and 10×10 tarp for sitting up, with half legged people, enjoy:

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

“Why do these bothys (bothies?) have tube shaped openings? ”
    Simple and economical way to have a vent that can be sealed if needed.
    no stiffeners or zips.
    Mikko,
    I am guessing that the pole in your pyramid is around 80″ and that your drawing does not include the typical inward sag of pyramid tents ?

Mikko Sinisalo
    BPL Member

@mikkosinisalo

Franco, no, it doesn’t. I didn’t go that far, even without the sagging the mid looks small for sitting up. I used Nigor WickiUp 4’s measurements, it’s 68″ high, the models are around 6′ tall and they are sitting at spots that have around 35″ of height.

If everyone’s sitting back against the pole, then there’s plenty of space, but that feels more like a survival atmosphere rather than gathering around.

Anyone have opinions or tips for setting up the tarp? Wind protection from 1 or 2 sides and a roof. Is the 10×10 too small, from real life experience?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

For wind protection one edge of the tarp needs to be pegged tight to the ground, so rectangular tarps work better for this, 3 * 6m [ 10 * 18′] is a good size pitched 1/3  * 2/3

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have the BD Megalite and it would work for 4-5 people to sit up in.  For your requirements, I’d personally just go for a 8×10 tarp and just pitch it as a lean-to.

Mikko Sinisalo
    BPL Member

@mikkosinisalo

Thanks for the help. I bought a 10×15 tarp. Now I just need to try out the different setups in various spots to see what works for me.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools