Topic

Correct o-rings for white gas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Correct o-rings for white gas

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I still use white gas stoves for car camping, and have a bunch of old Sigg, MSR, and other fuel bottles.  But the o-rings on almost all of them are dried by now, I purchased them in the late 1970s and 1980s (no complaints, they lasted a really long time).

I purchased some no-brand o-rings on the web a few years ago and they are all now cracked.  They were sold as correct for fuel bottles.  They were the correct size but apparently not the correct material.

But what is the correct material for white gas?  And what might have been the material of the ones that cracked quickly?

The one on the right was barely used, maybe a few times to pour fuel out, it cracked anyway.

One caveat:  the original o-rings were flat, the ones I purchased were circular in cross-section.  Could that be part of the problem?  Seems  unlikely as even the unused one cracked.

Some pictures that will stir the hearts of old-timers, particularly the Canady Pouring Cap:

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The MSR O rings in the MSR mainteance kit look round. See photo here:

https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/stove-accessories/annual-maintenance-kit/11814.html

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Viton is what you’re after

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Interesting. I have three or four Sigg bottles going back to 1975 for the oldest, 1979 for the newest. The gaskets are still fine. They are a flat, grey, rubbery material.

I believe Sigg still makes bottles, though I’m not sure about fuel bottles. Wonder if you should reach out to them?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Sigg and MSR fuel bottles were the same size opening/gasket. When MSR started out they only sold Sigg bottles and the pump was designed around the Sigg fuel bottle.  One of the reasons MSR started making their own bottles (aside from more profit) is the Sigg was made from two pieces — the threads were crimped to the top of the bottle neck and some did separate from the bottle. MSR started machining bottles from a single piece of aluminum.

Lyle G
    Spectator

@s0rce

As Ken said for white gas you want a Viton (fluorocarbon, FKM) o-ring, if you are burning diesel you could probably also use nitrile.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I was in Switzerland in the late 50s, and bought one of those aluminium flasks there. I still have it and still use it. I may have replaced the O-ring by now – if so it would now be Viton. I do not stock nitrile or lesser materials.

Current use for the bottle is 2-stroke mix for the chain saws. Works fine.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools