- Mar 12, 2020 at 5:13 pm #3635534David YBPL Member
@moonshineLocale: Mid Tenn
Everything is being canceled or postponed. Philmont may be too.
Being isolated in the backcountry of Philmont should be safe from the coronavirus but getting there may be too hazardous. Flights may be canceled and driving with 15 people in vans for a few days, eating in fast food restaurants and spending nights in motels may not be any better.
Let’s pray this [intolerant language removed] is under control by then so we can get back to Scouting in America.
“Philmont should be enjoyed, nor endured.” MoonshineMar 12, 2020 at 5:21 pm #3635536KEVIN WBPL Member
At this point Philmont is too far out to get riled up about it (2 – 3 months). With Covid recommendations are to self isolate for 2 weeks I’d be surprised if anything canceledthat far out would be cancelled or postponed this early.Mar 12, 2020 at 5:31 pm #3635537Jeffs ElevenBPL Member
I dont think that covid-19 is on the acceptable viruses list.Mar 13, 2020 at 4:48 pm #3635734Ralph BurgessBPL Member
I mystified about what [racist epithet removed] is supposed to mean. Why would anyone apply a racist epithet to a virus?Mar 13, 2020 at 4:53 pm #3635737matthew kModerator
I moderated some intolerant language out of the the post after it was reported by another user.Mar 13, 2020 at 5:00 pm #3635741
“I moderated some intolerant language out of the the post.”
It seems that you could have just deleted two words, and left in ‘virus’, and left out the (took out bad language!) bit. Same end result, but much easier to read and doesn’t invite questions (except possibly by the OP)Mar 13, 2020 at 5:06 pm #3635743matthew kModerator
A couple things:
1) Perhaps racist epithet is overstated. I was very frustrated. I apologize.
2) I edited the comment to [intolerant language removed]
3) We had a long debate a while ago about intolerant language and ideas. I am not comfortable simply removing it and sanitizing. I’d rather call attention to it when it has to be moderated out. I know some people won’t like this but this will continue to be my practice.Mar 13, 2020 at 5:08 pm #3635744
NM, it was a throwaway line, not necessary.Mar 13, 2020 at 5:23 pm #3635752
NM again, decided to send in a PM instead.Mar 13, 2020 at 6:44 pm #3635769
It’s too soon to know what impact there will be on summer programs. In the span of 12 hours, my kids’ schools went from open today, to closed just for today, to closed for 2 weeks, to closed for 4 weeks.Mar 13, 2020 at 7:20 pm #3635775David YBPL Member
@moonshineLocale: Mid Tenn
What is racist about naming the origins of this latest virus from China?Mar 13, 2020 at 7:57 pm #3635777
It’s interesting that the only places you’ll hear it called a China virus or Wuhan virus or such is in some conservative news outlets (usually the very conservative outlets) or from the prez and his sycophants, including those in congressland. Most legitimate outlets follow the WHO naming recommendations.
This article explains why: The Coronavirus’s Xenophobia ProblemMar 13, 2020 at 9:43 pm #3635783Bruce TolleyBPL Member
@btolleyLocale: San Francisco Bay Area
Thank you idester for the URL.Apr 27, 2020 at 8:14 am #3643374
Sounds like a decision will be coming Friday, May 1st. My son (myself too) really want to go. With everything going on, I can’t see it happening, especially the June and early July treks. If it doesn’t happen this year, I guess we’ll try for next year.Apr 27, 2020 at 9:45 am #3643383
Our summer camp is pushing the decision to mid-May. Our annual fundraiser was cancelled due to the virus and many were counting on it for Scout Bucks to pay for camp. We make a lot of money from our mulch sale.
We also have 2 crews set for Northern Tier. Between the fundraiser, people being short on cash and the virus concern, I don’t see us being able to fill 2 crews.
I don’t WANT to have these all cancelled, but I think they need to and I’d prefer a decision sooner rather than later.Apr 27, 2020 at 10:01 am #3643386
Agree, a decision sooner than later is preferred. For Philmont, I guess May 1st isn’t unreasonable for making a decision. If they push the decision to later in the month, then I think some people will be upset.
Even if they do open Philmont for the summer, it’s still going to be a mess. Just because they open, does not mean everybody that’s signed up for a trek will be able to attend. Lots of parents will have reservations, rightfully so, about sending their kid to camp.
Our group has paid all of our fees, so the other issue is how refunds will be worked. Will there be refunds, credit for a future trek…etc? I’m sure Philmont will put safety above everything else, but I’m sure for them there’s the issue of staying solvent. Closing for the whole year, would have a big impact with regard to this.Apr 27, 2020 at 12:19 pm #3643407
We’ve paid for our Northern Tier treks, but that’s it. No airfare yet. I’d need to get at least 1 more adult WFA trained and that’s not yet possible. Everyone will need a part C physical and that’s not possible right now.
We’d only started collecting first payments for NT from parents when the plague hit.
I’m sure many are in the same situation for Philmont. The kids aren’t at zero risk, but they are much lower than the adults.
I REALLY want them to make this easy on all of us (not them) and close like they did Philmont in 2018. Everything is just too screwed up to make this work. I at least want the option of getting a refund. We’ve already paid Sea Base for next year, so we can’t really carry our NT fees over to 2021 High Adventure.Apr 27, 2020 at 12:52 pm #3643410Mike WhitesellBPL Member
My son and I are still hoping to go this year in early July. But I am very doubtful that Philmont will be open this year. With scouts coming from all over the country and interacting with staff and scouts at multiple locations throughout the ranch, I just don’t see it as being viable at this point.
Not just Philmont, but I expect the vast majority of summer camps and day camps (scouting and otherwise) to be canceled as well, out of an abundance of caution.
It will be very sad if Philmont has to cancel this year, because this is the year that all the Troops were able to reschedule when their Treks were canceled due to the fire two years ago. Rescheduling for next year is not an option, since Philmont treks are scheduled 1.5 years in advance.
I’m waiting patiently to see what they will announce on May 1.Apr 28, 2020 at 6:41 am #3643571
There are still lots of open spots for 2021. We just grabbed one for a backup, in case 2020 doesn’t happen.Apr 28, 2020 at 10:15 am #3643611Bruce TolleyBPL Member
@btolleyLocale: San Francisco Bay Area
Expectation is that the State of Utah will move from “high risk” to “moderate risk” on May 1 which, according to the state’s published guidelines on social activities, meetings, assemblies, and out of state travel, would appear to my reading to prohibit summer camps until the state moves to a lower risk level.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.