Topic

Clothing recommendations still needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Clothing recommendations still needed

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

Locale: Directorate X

Yikes! Them’s some pricey undies. If you can’t keep dry with those shorts and drawers, I don’t think you’ll find anything much drier short of a kilt.

Have fun giving all of that a try. I’ll bet the wind jacket will be used often.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

MH Ghost Whisperer fits over the R1 and under the wind shirt with no issues.

If I put on my down hood, then the MH GW, I can’t really zip the neck up all the way…so I’m not sure if I’ll wear it over top or not.

What can I do to test the wind shirt before hitting the trail? Try to breath through it? wear it in front of a fan? How should it perform?

I have my Montane snow pants, but I’m wondering if there are other, lighter options that provide water and wind resistance and good insulation?

I will be backpacking through the winter again this year, but I’m betting it will be a bit more intense than last year…

I’m mildly tempted to buy down pants, but I’m guessing they don’t hold up well around camp as pants without another layer on top?

HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

Locale: Directorate X

Zack – I think some of your questions will only be answerable by you through your own experimentation. My guess is you’ll find all sorts of times that the wind shirt will be useful, but maybe not. If you’re more concerned with confirming that you’re taking enough warmth on a long hike, you could put in a few hours around home, varying your layers and activity level.

As for down pants, if you like camp fires, you may end up with a lot of singed holes in them without an outer layer protecting them from the inevitable flying embers.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have found that I rarely use wind pants

I also prefer a simple 100 weight fleece over an R1.  it’s lighter, as warm, and dies faster.

I really like the Capilene Expedition weight in colder weather as a base.  It really keeps you dry and had a great feel.  It’s very stretchy without a lot of lycra.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nylon pants like REI Adventure $25 work pretty good.  Sun and bug protection.

If it rains a lot they don’t absorb a lot of water so they dry out quickly while you’re wearing them

Maybe you need more if you go much below freezing

Look for a fabric that has sort of a cloth like feel.  Tight weave.  Some Spandex for stretch is okay.  Supplex is good, but that’s generic so manufacturers prefer some brand name that’s slightly different.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

wind pants in prolongued rain tent to cling to the skin … especially around the thighs when soaked theyll draw out the heat in freezing rain

they may dry out fairly fast after, but in non stop sustained rain theyll get soaked and stay soaked …. same with windshirts

fleece pants in such conditions work much better … or rain paints with very thin long underwear

;)

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools