Topic

Chemically, does Aquamira expire

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Chemically, does Aquamira expire

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I’ve got the drops, not the tablets. Do you know if chemically does it expire or does it still work? Could I just use a little more of it (i.e. does it just start to lose potency?)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

The expiration date is on the bottles. As with most things, that’s probably very conservative and it could probably be used safely for a considerable time thereafter, although I really don’t have a clue about this and could be dead wrong. But I doubt it.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Piper, that is an excellent question and I have been wondering myself, as I will probably start using the drops again to save money as Aqua Mira and similar tablets have been my go to purification source for years. I knew there is an expiration date as I have used drops in the past. I suppose the more times the bottles are opened, the more like they could deteriorate, if in fact they do. Probably repacking into smaller bottles would help with the longevity.

Hopefully one of our chemist members will have some helpful insights.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Bottle B is phosphoric acid. It does not expire.

Bottle A is the reactive substance which when acidified, generates the chlorine dioxide. It will expire. However, AquaMira has stated that as long as you get a yellow color when the 2 liquids are mixed, there is enough chlorine dioxide to treat the water.

To avoid degradation, both reagents should be kept cool and out of the light, which is why they are packaged in those white bottles (which also makes gauging how much you have left in each so difficult). If, as many do, you elect to pre-mix a large enough batch for a day’s anticipated use, be sure you store that mix in a dark bottle.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I keep it in the fridge and had it act/react normally over a year from the expiration date. Not scientific, I know.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Thank you for the replies! Chemically, it sounds like the drops may still be okay. I’ve got several old bottles lying around. Some are from 2014. Not sure if the others are even older. Sounds like as long as they still react it’s good enough. I usually don’t even treat my water unless it’s really objectionable, like dead rats.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools