Topic

checking the integrity of & changing the O-ring on a SVEA 123R

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) checking the integrity of & changing the O-ring on a SVEA 123R

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Hello! I just today picked up a SVEA 123R. The owner bought it when she was in high school in the 70s. I’ve read that fireballs can come from a bad O ring; my (perhaps ignorant) question is, how do I tell if the ring needs replacing? Should I just assume it does because it’s 50 years old? I don’t notice any cracks by looking–is there anything else I should be look for? Here is a picture. Thanks!

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I would just replace them all.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

You may want to ck the “rope wick” that extends into the fuel container also,  because if it is burn or singed  the stove will not work properly. Easy to replace once you have a replacement.

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

I would replace the fuel cap washer and the safety release ‘pip’.

Search https://classiccampstoves.com/ for all the advice you are ever likely to need.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
    Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Thanks, all, for your help!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

eBay to the rescue!

I was going to mention the little air pumps that make priming them easier.  It lets you pre-pressurize the tank first and then fill the priming ring just by opening the throttle (not dribbling from your fuel bottle or using an eye-dropper), and causes it to kick off a little sooner and to function better in really cold weather.

But thought I’d check availability of them first.  $39 used ones and a classic NIB one for $99 on Etsy and eBay but also BRAND NEW aftermarket ones.  For $14 + $10 S&H.  With the fuel-tank adaptor cap (which the pump requires – it’s a replacement cap with a check valve).  So you get a brand new cap and gasket plus the air pump for easier starting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113782083977

In the 1970s and 80s, I always brought the pump with me – it made it all easier and made for less spilled fuel.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools