Topic

Cheap, light-ish fully waterproof full-zip jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cheap, light-ish fully waterproof full-zip jacket?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I was wondering if there was a cheap, light-ish fully waterproof full zip jacket out there?  Can be PU coated or whatnot as long as it doesn’t rely on DWR for being waterproof.  I have an OR Rampart but it is close to a pound and the dri-Ducks are not durable.  Thank you.

Jeffrey Hlavac
    BPL Member

@jmhlavac

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Brett,

I have the OR Helium 2 which is really great but not that cheap, it does go on sale for around $120. I also have the Marmot Precip which is also pretty great, heavier, but I found mine for $60. on sierra trading. Both are still waterproof after several years of use but the helium has a few small holes that I’ve repaired with tenacious tape from campfire embers. I really don’t think you can beat Marmot’s Precip in jackets and pants on price for the quality you get. I think there’s a study out there somewhere on various fabrics and the precip beats gore-tex.

Jeff

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I was thinking more of something that doesn’t need the DWR like those do.    Just some cheap thing that may be made out of silnylon or whatnot that is always waterproof.  Could even be some cheap plastic jacket that can take a scrape or two.  Thank you..

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Frogg Toggs has the Xtreme Lite jacket that I’ve been waiting for a review. https://www.froggtoggs.com/xtreme-lite-jacket/ . It appears to have no vent options and I suspect it will do as well as a Helium. If you just want a simple seam taped PU coated nylon jacket, look at the Red Ledge Thunderlight (about 14oz) https://www.sierratradingpost.com/red-ledge-thunderlight-parka-waterproof-for-men-and-women~p~162nw/?filterString=s~red-ledge-thunderlight-jacket%2F

DWR effects breathability, but the membrane *should* remain waterproof on a 2.5 layer jackwt if the DWR wets out. Proper laundering will help maintain DWR and the breathability and service life of the membrane. Detergents, fabric softeners and dryer sheets are verboten.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Yes, it will be nice to get some reviews in on the Frogg Toggs.  I think the Red Ledge is pretty close to what I already have in the OR Rampart.  And yeah, not dealing with DWR anymore.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The Frogg Toggs are cheap and light and they work well enough for occasional use, but the material is very prone to damage with rough handling or bushwhacking. After two years of moderate use (2 or 3 dozen nights of backpacking per year), my Frogg Toggs jacket has many small tears in it. They would be easy to patch with some DCF repair tape or something similar, but I have not done this yet. For sustained rainy weather I would choose a different option, maybe a Packa or well-made poncho, or supplement the Frogg Toggs with an umbrella (this works well).

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The Xtreme Lite is a different product than the Ultra Lite stuff that has been out for years. Frogg Togg and DriDucks make a bunch of different rainnsuits now.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Both on sale for Black Friday

LIGHTHEART GEAR .

ANTIGRAVITY GEAR .

Tyler S
    BPL Member

@tswoboda

How about Columbia Outdry Ex?

Waterproof without the use of a DWR, still breathable, and has pit zips.  I just picked one up for $60 and the size small weighed just under 12 oz.

Cheap, lightISH, no DWR

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

Where did you find it for $60?

Tyler S
    BPL Member

@tswoboda

STP with 25% off coupon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools