Topic

cheap butane canisters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) cheap butane canisters

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Bob

I intentionally left the valve open all night after completing some stove runs. I didn’t weigh it, but I don’t think it lost any fuel overnight because the outside air remained very cold.

Could be a bit dangerous under some conditions. If the canister was warmer than ambient, even if too cold to give off vapour, and the external temperature was falling, you could suck in some oxygen. Now the % of oxygen inside the canister would probably be nowhere near the FAE explosion range, but …

Cheers

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Thanks, Roger.

I understand your concern, which would certainly be justified under some circumstances. No problem then because of the temperature, the fact that it was outdoors and was also a bit windy and no ignition sources.

So no Darwin Award for that one…. not that I’d recommend it to others, however.

But it’s safe to say there was no propane remaining in that fuel supply, lol.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Bob

My real concern? Novices reading this thread.

Cheers

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools