Topic

Chair enlightening – 13 oz full chair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Chair enlightening – 13 oz full chair

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Alan W
    BPL Member

@at-reactor

Brian, suggest review https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/chair-feet/#comments

started by Tim Garner for additional ideas at feet.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

IME, the crossed “Garner straps” are the best solution yet devised…a minimalist version of the Helinox ground sheet.  No individual foot design is likely to achieve the same purchase on the ground surface.  @Alan W’s use of the Spider 1.5 webbing yields a sub-11g system weight.

Brian T
    BPL Member

@whynotlighter

JCH, Alan,
    How thick/ tough is the spider webbing? like could you eliminate the rubber feet and it would protect the carbon enough from hard surfaces?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Brian T – while extremely strong, Spider 1.5 is also quite thin.  I would expect the sharp edges of the carbon tube end to damage the webbing quickly.  It might be possible to round/smooth the raw carbon tube end sufficiently to avoid damaging the webbing. If a smooth round plug were inserted I think the webbing would work well.

The cut down feet you posted would definitely work to prevent damaging the strap material.  Perhaps they can be further reduced?

FYI, I used the 1” spider webbing for my hammock chair suspension. I believe Alan W also used the 1” for his cross straps. The 2” would IMO be overkill, and might actually be too wide to work well.  Alan W’s pictures in the previously referenced thread show the straps beautifully.

Brian T
    BPL Member

@whynotlighter

JCH,
    Thanks for that, there are round plugs in all tubes they hold the shock cord inside of them so they are not sharp in any fashion, however, carbon is kindof sensitive to serious abrasion, for example you can sand it with sand paper. The rubber feet do help spread some of the pressure on the carbon to make the contact point more durable (this is one reason carbon trekking poles typically have the whole point made from metal, not just the very tip).
    I can post pictures if my explanation doesn’t make sense.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Makes perfect sense. I would suggest continuing to use the rubber feet to broaden the contact point. The trick will likely be identifying the point at which the foot still works, but will no longer do so if made any smaller :)

Wondering if a minimal foot could be crafted from another, less dense material…cork?  After all, it is no longer a “foot”, but a buffer protecting both leg and strap.

Brian T
    BPL Member

@whynotlighter

JCH,
    Thanks for this idea I was thinking something similar but wasn’t sure what material might be durable and light enough. I ordered some cork tapered stoppers to try that, it’s a really interesting idea.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Ace Hardware has a lot of stoppers in various sizes and some alternative materials.  Might be worth a visit.

Brian T
    BPL Member

@whynotlighter

hey folks,
    sorry for a period with no posts. I have done several experiments since the last post. the R&D of it all takes some time.
    My first run is complete, I made some sets of poles, and got a few to some beta testers to see what their experience is like.

I’v had to make some changes to the design as I have used the original prototype some more, mostly working with clearances and small material changes.

I am currently still in the process of working on the chair fabric (I’ve enlisted a partner who is better at soft goods work that myself).

I’ll keep you all posted as the other parts develop. Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!