Topic

Cellphone GPS as alternative

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Cellphone GPS as alternative

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mark T
    Spectator

@2947-2

Ditto.  This is very helpful.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

@ David C.  Thanks, I was not aware of that Apple program.  My phone is out of warranty so battery replacement is $29, still way cheaper than a new phone.  But apparently the replacement battery has to be ordered and will not be here in time for my trip.  So maybe later.

Andrew z
    BPL Member

@a-z

I’m looking into a Garmin InReach Mini, largely for significant-other’s peace of mind on my solo trips. At that point does it make sense to just have / carry the larger Inreach rather than have the Mini and be using my Iphone for maps?

I don’t want to buy the bigger device, but I don’t want to carry two devices either….

Craig B
    BPL Member

@kurogane

I have used my Samsung GS5 as my sole gps on a couple of trips and am totally happy with it’s performance.  It is quite water resistant, and has an easily replaceable battery, so you can carry a spare or two at 1.6 Oz ea.  With cell connection turned off and using the camera and Viewranger app for tracking during the day, one battery will last for a couple of days.  So this is my camera and navigation device.  I just bought an InReach Mini, so it is a perfect fit to pair with my phone as well.

Hardware wise, I’m pretty sure there’s not much difference in capability between a cell phone and stand alone gps device.  They both use integrated patch antennas on an internal circuit board.  You would only be able to do better than this if you had an external amplified antenna, but no mass market devices that I’ve found have such things.  Devices that do use such a setup are high-end INS (inertial navigation systems) for aircraft/drones.

Andrew z
    BPL Member

@a-z

Thanks Craig. I think Ill just breakdown and buy in Inreach Mini as planned. I think I was looking for someone to talk me out of a new purchase even though it seems like a smart decision / pairing.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools