Topic

Cancelling membership?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Cancelling membership?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Karen B
    Spectator

@kbr00ks

Hi — just got charged my annual membership fee and realized I haven’t used this site in over a year. But I don’t see anywhere to cancel membership. Where can I do this?

Cancelling and getting a refund for the upcoming year would be nice, though I understand if that’s not possible. However, there should be an option to cancel membership for the future.

BRYON L
    BPL Member

@pastor-bryon

Click on Account -> Billing Settings -> scroll down to “Recurring Subscription Orders” and cancel

Karen B
    Spectator

@kbr00ks

Thanks.

Karen B
    Spectator

@kbr00ks

Actually, I’m not seeing the option “Billing Settings” under Account (see screenshot).

None of the options shown have a billing component.

account options

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Karen, I sent you a PM

Karen B
    Spectator

@kbr00ks

Got it, thank you.

Charles Beckman
    Spectator

@flinger1

Locale: Middle Atlantic

I’d be interested in knowing how to cancel.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Start at (Dashboard)  Accounts. Click on Accounts and two options will appear. Select Subscriptions and BPL Subscriptions page will appear for which you are subscribed to according to your membership. The rest is up to you…….

Charles Beckman
    Spectator

@flinger1

Appreciate the help , thanks. But I wonder if it accomplished what I wanted, which was to terminate membership so I don’t get charged in the future.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave?

Charles Beckman
    Spectator

@flinger1

I’ll try my laptop.  Maybe there’s a way there that I can’t see on my phone.

I wasn’t sure I even wanted to cancel until I found I couldn’t, now I’m on a mission . . .

Miles Brandman
    Spectator

@miles-b

The cancel option is very hard to find…

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Click on account and a window will drop down and then click on “Billing Settings”

John G
    Spectator

@john_oz

I can’t see that option – billing settings. How do I cancel?

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

This won’t get you a refund, but you can cancel automatic payments using the website of your payment option, e.g. PayPal. I don’t like recurring payments in general (in fact, they feel a bit scammy to me and I would prefer to get an automated reminder to re-subscribe), and I find it to be the most convenient way to do it since it’s centralized. After I make a payment to any subscription, I go to Paypal and cancel automatic payments to that site. Then the next year, if I actually notice that my membership has lapsed, I manually subscribe again and cancel automatic payments again. If I don’t notice that my membership has lapsed, that means I really don’t need a membership.  ;-)

John G
    Spectator

@john_oz

Thanks Dan, didn’t know about this feature in Paypal, great tip.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Have this set up in my credit card how exactly does one cancel? Yes necro bump because it really shouldn’t be this hard, and this is the first thing google shows when trying to figure it out. All I see is an option to become a lifetime member.</p>

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Patrick, I sent you a PM.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave?”

These existential rates only apply in California. And in films by Luis Bunuel and novels by  Steven King.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There is that other thread about lack of participation/folks leaving, and here we have three more folks leaving.

Perhaps the folks above (Karen, Charles) could share why they are leaving, and where they are going for backpacking information?

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Speaking for myself, it’s arthritis in my back unfortunately. Backpacking isn’t really an option anymore. Manged it for about 10 years but the pain is constant now.</p>

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Patrick. Thx for the feedback. Sorry about your spinal arthritis.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools