Topic

Can I use KAM snaps w/o a press or pliers? (traditional hammer die method)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Can I use KAM snaps w/o a press or pliers? (traditional hammer die method)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

I don’t see why we need the fiddly-ness of pliers or a press to use KAM snaps but I’ve never seen them pressed in person – I’ve just looked at them afterward.  I’m trying to retrofit an MLD core with side pockets and I figure KAM snaps would be a great way to hold the pocket backing in place (but not to support weight or anything) – but there’s no way that I could fit the excess material of the MLD core into the gap space of the pliers.

Thanks!

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Yes, there are indeed ways to mess up a snap assembly.  Depending on where you live and all, I have the equipment to assemble the Fashion 20 snap.  Send me a PM and we can discuss if you wish.

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

The pliers smash the plastic pin like it does on a rivet.  I suppose it would work with a hammer type press.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have put in a lot of these snaps over the years. My experience has been that you MUST keep the alignment when ‘making’ the rivet. The proper tool works fine, and doing it in a good (ie not sloppy) drill press with the right rivetting tools also works fine.

But trying to do it in a vice or with pliers fails every time. Very reliably.

Cheers

Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

Thanks all for the replies!  It’s reminded me why I still love this place in spite of all the wonkiness with the interface.

Ask about some unpopular craft item and get 3 knowledgeable replies in an hour!  I love you guys!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

some unpopular craft item
    I would not describe those plastic snaps, which come in many brands, as being an UNpopular item! Far from it.

However, I would not try to use them on a single layer of silnylon. A little reinforcing for the area please.

Cheers

Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

Unpopular as in there is not much deeper-than-surface blogging going on about them.  And certainly nobody talking about abusing them in the way I’d envisioned.  I’m going to bag the idea and proceed with just using the various attachment points of the MLD core.  It’ll be a little floppy but it won’t affect the core’s resale value and it’ll probably get resold once I get my Borah Gear daypack.

Thanks a bunch Roger!

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

For uses like that I attach the snaps to a piece of grosgrain and then sew the ribbon to the item.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Interestingly, you can buy tape or ribbon with snaps set into it at close intervals. I have some, and it does work.

Cheers

Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread.  I think I’m going to go ahead and invest in a KAM snap kit soon and rather than augment my MLD core, embark on making something similar from scratch that is designed to fit my needs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools