Topic

Can Dyneema (Cuben) tent fabric be dyed?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can Dyneema (Cuben) tent fabric be dyed?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’m thinking of getting a Notch Li tent this summer but want a bit more shade and privacy so I’d like to dye it olive or brown if possible. IS it possible?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nope

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

That’s why I wish TT would offer camo DCF like ZPacks and MLD does. I’d probably spring for an Aeon if TT offered camo. I have a Hexamid in .74 and even though it’s described as “spruce green.” it stands out like a sore thumb. Definitely not stealthy .

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Unlike nylon, no DCF/Cuben cannot be dyed at home. Like poly fuel cans and clothing, dyes are infused directly into the plastic during manufacture. Most such dyes are contaminants interfering with the normal chemical makeup and/or formation of chains causing problems with layer adhesion when melting together (melding) and/or strength/durability of the finished fabric.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Well various colors of Dyneema fabric are offered online and as stated above some tent makes have Dyneema tents of camo or other colors so maybe Tarptent could offer a nice olive color.

There are times when I’ve been glad that my Moment DW or Scarp 2 offered shade, such as when I finished a day’s hike and wanted to nap before dinner. The shade was welcome in a well ventilated tent.

Jus’ sayin Henry. :o)

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Ripstopbytheroll is experimenting with printing on DCF . He’s currently offering DCF drybag kits in lots of Pantone colors . Maybe full OutdoorInk printed DCF isn’t far behind.  I imagine it will be expensive.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Jeff, yes, there is that. But surface coatings (like paints) are subject to wearing and adding weight. Dyes are very much lighter, they simply do not contain any binder. I don’t know exactly the process they are using, but I would guess they are much heavier tent fabric’s. Likely, 1.0oz/yd or so. This kind of doesn’t make sense when most of us use DCF/Cuben for light weight. Silnylon is 1.1oz/yd and at least as rugged and likely more durable due to better abrasion resistance/packed size.

I think a Magic Marker will put a relatively permanent color on DCF/Cuben but it would be expensive. And the various chemicals (xylene, benzene, alcohol) really just carry pigment and glue (ink.) Never tried it, but I am guessing that doing a large area would also tend to stiffen and degrade the the fabric somewhat. Without some form of bonding no inks would stick. For example, writing on window glass. While DCF/Cuben is somewhat better in that regard, it still doesn’t allow much to penetrate and bond. To make colored glass, the pigment is embedded on the glass structure.  Painted glass is possible (usually as a mistake for me,) though. Generally, I think at least one extra layer would be required.

Anyway, because DCF/Cuben is very thin (when considering the base three layer fabric) I am not sure you could really make a good opaque film in 51oz/yd or the .71oz/yd. Kind of like stretching a black garbage bag, it goes to olive and stretching a blue bag goes to light crystal blue, these are done now. (And mixes for camo, but camo colored DCF/Cuben is always heavier because of the chemistry involved.) I am going out on a limb and guessing that the colored DCF stuff would be similar to camo, a heavier material. As I remember, doped plastics is how you change the characteristics of a plastic…hardness, stiffness, elasticity, etc.  You might not want to do that with all the color chemicals available.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Since I would get the ripstop inner tent perhaps dyeing the ripstop would give me at least some shade.

I am getting the ripstop interior B/C I’ve seen what Utah’s dust does in the wind to an all netting interior.Your sleeping bag and everything else gets a coating of fine dust. That was in both my Contrail and  the original single wall Moment.

In my experience the ripstop inner in my Moment DW has kept out at least 80% of that dust when the fly is closed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools