Topic

Can Apple’s New iPhone 14 Replace Your Garmin inReach?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Can Apple’s New iPhone 14 Replace Your Garmin inReach?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Marshall

@andrewsmarshall

Locale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians

Companion forum thread to: Can Apple’s New iPhone 14 Replace Your Garmin inReach?

Should/will the iPhone 14 replace my Garmin inReach (or similar satellite messaging devices)?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

no

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

I don’t use an inreach, but I’m struggling to find many reasons using the iPhone it isn’t better than my RescueME PLB as long as my iphone is charged / not broken. No battery concerns is one advantage a PLB has but the texting component of the iPhone is also better than simply sending an SOS with a non text compatible PLB.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Montmolar
    BPL Member

@vhk416googlemail-com

As a European we rarely use PLBs in the first place and thus I find the added feature of the iPhone really compelling.

It basically means I do have added security on my Alpine endeavors without getting another gadget/device to keep track off.

Will probably hold off for now though, since I am hoping the iPhone 15 will finally come with USB-C…

Myke H
    BPL Member

@mmartini2727

I trust my iPhone way more than my Garmin inreach mini. The inreach is not a good device at all. The plan is terrible and would be reason enough for me to ditch it. The user interface is just bad and the iPhone’s hardware is in a different league than the inreach. Additionally, my inreach has way worse battery life. Give it a couple years and there will be ZERO reason to own an inreach.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!