Topic

Camping food in exchange for your feedback

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Camping food in exchange for your feedback

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Hi! If you remember a few months back I posted about these dehydrated Indian meals for people who were looking for an alternative to their usual camping meals. I was excited to get orders and saw that there’s a need for these products in the backpacking world.

I’ve been thinking of ways for these products to reach more backpackers and also how to lower the shipping and handling fees. As luck would have it, I will be traveling to US for a conference on the 2nd week of August and I will be bringing about a hundred tubs of these dehydrated meals to give away as samples.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rTTaUbJEyyWhUxC98

I am offering a sampler box of 2 meal varieties in tubs for just $6.00 (this is to cover the USPS shipping fees within US). And in exchange, I would like to get your feedback about the taste, the packaging, the serving size, what works well and what can be improved. I am in contact with the manufacturer of these products and I am trying to set up a product packaging geared towards backpackers. Your feedback will help us a lot.

There are 14 flavors available and serving size varies from 260- 377kcal. If you have preference, let me know. If not available, I will send out flavors randomly.

1. Veggie Upma
    2. Masala Upma
    3. Seviyan Upma
    4. Poha
    5. Khatta Meetha Poha
    6. Idli Sambar
    7. Kadhi Chawal
    8. Chinese fried rice
    9. Veg Biryani
    10. Dal Chawal
    11. Sambar Rice
    12. Matar Pulao
    13. Seviyan Kheer
    14. Kesari Halwa

You can connect with me through message or email me at [email protected]

Thank you.

Huzefa Siamwala

Frequently asked questions 

1. Are these cold soak friendly? Yes, cold soaking works but they definitely taste much better when hot.
    2. Do they need simmering? No simmering needed.
    3. Could you better define what each meal is layman’s terms? If you go the link I posted above, you will photo of each flavor. Under each photo there is a description and ingredient information. If there is a easier way to present the information, let me know.
    4. Are all of these meals vegan or are there a specific few that don’t contain animal products? All meals are vegetarian and some flavors are vegan – dont contain ghee (clarified butter). Vegan flavors – Poha, Khatta meetha poha, Matar Pulao, Kadhi Chawal, Idli Sambar, Seviyan Upman and Sambar rice.
    5. Allergy info – There is a disclaimer on the package which says that all meals, including vegan meals, are processed on machinary that handles dairy. If you have allergy to dairy, please avoid these meals.
    6. The tubs look bulky and heavy for backpacking, do you have lighter packaging?  I leave all tubs, except 1, at home and carry just the pouch (w/ pinhole). This makes it very lightweight and compact for backpacking.
    Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Hi Huzefa

I haven’t sampled all the meals you sent yet but the couple we tried certainly taste good. My only comment would be that the salt levels are extremely high. Much higher than I am used to and seemed high compared even to usual backpacking freeze dried meals.

Serving size was good. We used two pouches combined for two of us.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

You may encounter issues if you bring a bunch of food into the US.  Even if none of it is meat, dairy, live plants or otherwise prohibited.  Probably the best cover story is that you’re planning on a lot of backpacking and have dietary restrictions, so you’re bringing enough food for your personal use during those trips.  If you say you’re giving them away as samples for a business, then it seems like you’re here on business under a tourist visa which is a no-no unless you’re Melania Trump, nee’ Melanija Knavs.  Also, commercial items are supposed to be declared as such.

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Locale: Germany

“serving size varies from 260- 377kcal”

This would be way to small for me. When hiking etc., I like to eat >800 kcal for diner.

Of course you could always prepare more than one, but that would add garbage.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

“I like to eat >800 kcal for diner”

Fat is your friend – carry coconut oil or olive oil or ghee (clarified butter, shelf stable at room temperature) and add the needed amount to your meal. You could also supplement with a source of dehydrated protein (aka jerky).

I’m not endorsing the meals being promoted here but simply suggesting ways to supplement caloric/protein content of a carb based “meal”.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

“I am in contact with the manufacturer of these products and I am trying to set up a product packaging geared towards backpackers. Your feedback will help us a lot.”

I would like to be able to buy these meals in a larger bulk package equivalent to 5-10 servings. Then I could portion them out as I want for a trip. I’m not sure if others would feel this way or not.

I like the salt level, particularly for backpacking.

I would like a larger serving while backpacking. The current meal sizes are perfect for lunch at work.

Also, clear descriptions on the front that explain the main ingredients to Americans would be helpful. Many of these are dishes unfamiliar to Americans.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Manufacturers website,

https://mealofthemoment.com

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Chris, thank you for your feedback.

David T, thanks for heads up. Will keep in mind the cover story.

David F, for backing I need 2 meals. But suggestion by Pedestrian is an excellent one.

Matthew , you feedback is noted. I am working on bulk packaging concept.

Anyone else interested in bulk packaging? That would give you choice of serving size.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

If anyone is interested in trying out the sampler, let me know by sunday. I need to get boxes, print shipping labels and catch a flight on 6th morning.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Hi! So I’ve shipped out last Tuesday the orders I’ve received from this post. If anyone else is interested in the 2-meal ($6) or 6-meal ($12) sampler box, I still have a few more tubs of assorted dehydrated meals.

1. Seviyan Upma (3)

2. Masala Upma (2)

3. Veggie Upma (2)

4. Poha (2)

5. Khatta Meetha Poha (2)

6. Idli Sambar (1)

7. Chinese Fried Rice (2)

I’ll be able to ship them on Monday, August 12th.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools