Topic

Bugs and small pyramids?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bugs and small pyramids?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Do flying insects mysteriously fly to top and out vents of small mids (Duomid, Khufu, etc) as they do in taller mids?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

This has been my experience with my Solomid

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

That has also been my experience in a Hexamid solo. No vents, so they just congregate there.

Is it mysterious? I thought it was just heat.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Warm exhalations rising and mosquitos seeking the CO2 in that exhaled air?

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Well, I usually notice it on those unusual days when I pitch while the afternoon sun is still strong. And in those cases, I’m usually not in the tarp–I’ll putz around camp or whatever, and then, when I re-enter, I notice the congregation at the apex.

So I, always figured there’s just warm air up there–solar heating of the fabric, plus maybe a little greenhousing. Plus light. All of which might attract the flying buggers.

Of course, in the course of responding to this thread, I have–by far–given it more thought than I ever have before…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have no vent.  The bugs tend to congregate at the peak and just flit around.

Maybe CO2 like David said?  Or they just try to go up to get away?

Does that mean they don’t bite me down below?  Maybe.  I have a head net for extreme conditions, which is maybe July in Oregon.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Co2 is a good hypothesis, but consider this anecdote: I set up the hexagonal cone mesh inner of my SL3 last summer so that my dog could shelter while I made dinner. I chose the SL3 (actually a clone) because he is a relentless insect hunter and had earlier destroyed the mesh inner of a dome by biting the insects through the mesh.

But inside the hexagonal cone he sat placidly while I was getting gorged upon outside. Would the mesh alone keep enough CO2 sequestered so that all bugs near would stay near the top of the cone and out of my dog’s zone of attention?

During bug season, I must rely on this effect or he will destroy our shelter. The SL3 is wonderful for the two of us, but pretty heavy.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Perhaps it is all in the (dog’s) mind?
    If he sees the mesh inner as a ‘wall’, he won’t look past it. So a more solid mesh might be the trick.

Come to think of it, just how well does a dog see anyhow? It has been suggested that they rely more on their nose than their eyes. He might not be able to see through a more solid mesh.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools