Topic

Bug net skirt or bivy for a deschutes tarp clone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bug net skirt or bivy for a deschutes tarp clone?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sean P
    BPL Member

@wily_quixote

Locale: S.E. Australia

hi,

a question best answered by deschutes plus owners, I suspect:

I am tossing up whether to modify my shelter (custom but modeled closely on a smd deschutes) with a bug net skirt or to just buy a bivy with bug headnet.

The skirt would run around the perimeter of the base and, as the shelter is essentially a mid with a zippered beak, extend from the beak to the ground.

i like the idea of the skirt for summer but the bivy would be more flexible – I just don’t like the idea of cowering in a bivy when the bugs are bad.

For reference, I hike in Australia, so hot days and nights are common as are cold alpine conditions below freezing- so I will buy a bivy at some stage anyway.

i guess my question really relates to how useful, practical and fiddly would a bug skirt be?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Each method has pros and cons, but plenty of people do just fine either way, so you probably can’t make a bad decision here. A bug skirt is a one-piece solution that’s always there with no installation, so it’s easy. A standalone tarp is more versatile as you could pair your tarp with different “inners” depending on conditions. For bugs and heat (but no ants), a STS Nano Mosquito Pyramid net would likely work fine for 3 ounces, or a full net tent for several ounces (myog) or 11 ounces (SMD Serenity net tent) for bad bugs. For alpine conditions, a full inner with partial solid walls (MYOG) or a bivy could be added.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I like bivies because of the simplicity of site selection/setup/breakdown on dry nights. I don’t like hanging out in a tent. I rely on clothing for bug protection which frees me up to experience the outdoors.

That said, I agree with what Lester said about modularity. I do have inners for my Deschutes and Duomid. I don’t use them often but I have those options on hand for the right trip.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

If I could change one thing on my D+ it would be to have a way to leave the door open but still ha e bug protection when it’s hot. An inner would accomplish this or a mesh door.

A bonus of not using an inner is you can use the full space of the tarp.

Sean P
    BPL Member

@wily_quixote

Hi Paul,

yes I am considering getting the maker of the original shelter to put a long section of mesh (essentially a mesh door) in the beak for that very reason, as well as a shorter skirt around the mid section.

Sean P
    BPL Member

@wily_quixote

Thanks all . I might try a pyramid net (a friend has one) to see how that goes in it first.

cheers

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I use a net tent in my CF deschutes when required, and I have a dedicated sewn modified perimeter version in a silnylon deschutes. You can see that in my dedicated version I have addressed the door problem and have a huge area to enjoy for cooking, etc.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

How did you snag that? I want it… and in DCF

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

A bugnet behind the door seems nice with all of that interior space but then I wonder why not just sew a floor into it like a ZPacks Plex tent?

Sean P
    BPL Member

@wily_quixote

That looks perfect. How did you address the entrance? Zip?velcro?

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I use both these my Deschutes with a zpacks poncho. More versatility.

I sewed the bug net along the interior seam. Easy, 30 mins.

I use the nano-net for the CF because most of the time I don’t use it. The single is too small; not enough height, and be-warned, both the single and double do not have the peak in the center. It takes a double nano-net to get enough height  and enough length to yank it over to something closer to approximate center.

To enter, you lift it up.

BTW I don’t use bug spray, and I am long past the days when I can tolerate hearing the mosquitos too close to my face.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I use my deschutes with a bivy, wear long sleeves and pants to protect from bugs and gloves if they get real bad.  I also have a head net.

im not a hangout in the tent person and I like opening up the doors.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools