Topic

Breathability of Patagonia Torrentshell jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Breathability of Patagonia Torrentshell jacket?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I will be using a Patagonia gift card to purchase a Torrentshell. Size “medium” fits me good with fleece underneath. However, to wear a Torrentshell with a down jacket under, I’d have to go with size “large”.

My question: Is the Torrentshell breathable enough that one could even wear down under it during light activity without feeling like they were wrapped in plastic?

Ideally, besides using the Torrentshell in cooler rainy conditions, I’d be able to wear it with a down jacket in very cold wintery conditions while walking or during short cross country ski jaunts when blizzardy. I have a really nice Gore-Tex <span class=”st”>Schoffel jacket for the latter…..but it seems overkill for most of my needs and is rather heavy and cumbersome compared to the Torrentshell. </span>

Thoughts?

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I don’t know of a condition where I’d wear any down layer under a shell while exerting myself.    Down is just too warm for active wear.   It is great for sedentary activity (is that an oxymoron?)

No breathable layer that is actually waterproof is breathable enough to wear over a down layer for any activity as far as I’m concerned.    If I ski… I sweat too much.   If I hike in very cold weather… I’d sweat too much.    If you are active…use fleece or layers of wool/synthetic layers.   When you stop…. down is awesome.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks, Kevperro,

Let me clarify: By walking in cold conditions….I’m referring to slow socials…or walking around the block as I commonly do on winter nights at home…..not backpacking or climbing or doing anything much of anything as far as exertion goes. As far as short cross country ski jaunts….the down would be to don during lunch and rest breaks. I’d like the ability to put the shell over it if it were snowing.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I can only speak generally about 2 layer coated jackets, but in general, if I am just walking around town with little exertion I will get no moisture accumulation in my clothing. I have worn a down jacket under a rain jacket for extended periods of time, both sitting around and light walking on flat ground, no issues.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Ok….. understood.   Really the only time you care about breathability in general, is during high exertion activity.    The breathability of the shell just doesn’t matter for walking around town sort of stuff.

As far as I’m concerned none of the breathable layers are enough to remove all moisture during high output activities.    They just are not capable of moving that much air and still being waterproof.    What you have to plan for is layers that function when wet/damp and the real value to a breathable shell is that you can dry things out with your body heat over time.

That may not sound comforting as a marketing point but I found it pretty helpful when I was in the Army.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

My Torrentshell wetted out in less than 45 minutes on it’s first day. While Pattagucci makes some great things, those jackets are not a good example.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks, everyone!

And Ken T – Ouch. That wasn’t what I wanted to hear. But of course, I appreciate you saying it. I may have to look into a different Patagonia jacket.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools