Topic

BPL Film Festival!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography BPL Film Festival!!

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Thanks to everyone who attended the live stream of the festival last night. It was really cool to put on an online live event and it was great to interact with you all on the live chat!

@brianb
    next year maybe we have a subcategory for “selfie films made by over-40 filmmakers!”

Kevin B
    BPL Member

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

What’s the point of limiting the viewing timeframe window?

2 hours 24 minutes into the show as I watch you (Ryan) and Chris at Knowles trailhead, my feed stops with “This video is unavailable”

I get the limited window for voting, but damn, it’s a Friday afternoon, I’m enjoying all these sponsored videos (many companies whom I’ve supported with purchases) and then bam, I’m blocked from content that may lead me to support (buy from) the sponsors!?!

I don’t get how metering content has ever benefited BPL!

End rant… but come on, Ryan.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Whaaaa? It’s lunchtime Friday here. Thought I might catch the ones I missed. Guess not.

Nice move with switching the date and time too.

Doesn’t feel right to vote without seeing them all.

When I logged on to view there were 167 viewers.

Opportunity missed to give the members a little something for putting up with so much for so long still.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

We’re planning on doing another live showing after Thanksgiving and hope to get a better quality recording. Fortunately almost 1,000 members were able to participate in this week’s live showing and/or caught the recorded version before it was taken down.

My main goals with this week’s event was to try out the format, work out the technology and process for streaming and recording, and get enough participation for the Members Choice Award voting. I’m very thankful for those who were able to participate and were patient with us as we worked out a few of the tech issues.

Sorry you missed it the first time around! You’ll get another chance, don’t worry.

Kevin B
    BPL Member

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

Reminds me of way back when you had to be home on a Thursday night to watch this really cool show called “Friends”….

Then, years and years later someone invented digital recording devices  (DVR) so you could still watch your shows even if you were busy during the broadcast. Then YouTube followed by giving more viewing options, and ultimately on-demand platforms like Netflix let consumers have even more viewing choice and made esoteric content (like UL backcountry travel, lets say)successful cuz shows could gain a dedicated audience that was never possible under the traditional limited broadcasts…

I guess BPL’s going for a retro strategy with all this

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

Not all members (I am a lifetime member) received the link.  I received the announcement emails but not the one with the link email.  I couldn’t have watched on the Wednesday rescheduled date anyway–had a meeting–but am wondering if there were others who were also not sent the link.  Was it supposed to be just a selection of members (by what criteria?) or was there a glitch?  Looking forward to future availability.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I still want to know why no mention of it on the home page. Seems like only those who subscribe to the newsletter email got the message. Everyone I know who does not did not get notified even though the email said all members. It’s posted above.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

A notice was placed on the homepage during the event, directing members to check their email. I didn’t want to do much more promotion than via email to members. I was nervous about the livestream quality, since there was a maintenance project happening concurrently on a major internet switch going on in Cheyenne, which controls the data pipe here in Laramie.

Also, this was our first live stream — so we were taking a pretty conservative approach.

Mina, sent you an email regarding your email subscription. If anyone else who (a) has an active basic, premium, or lifetime subscription AND (b) didn’t get the email, please email [email protected] and let us know your email address associated with your membership account – We have a theory why some members were missed – some type of synchronization issue between our email software and our membership software. I don’t know the details of it yet, so if this is you, send us a note!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Also @here — you wrote:

Seems like only those who subscribe to the newsletter email got the message. Everyone I know who does not did not get notified even though the email said all members.

There’s this possibility too:

If somebody has opted out of receiving email from our email system, they won’t receive any marketing-type email from us. They will continue to receive transactional email, like “lost password requests” etc.

To access your email subscriptions, just click the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any of our marketing emails, which takes you to this page:

If you see a white button that says “Reactivate my Subscriptions”, that means you are opted out of receiving anything from us. If the red “Unsubscribe from all mailings” button shows up, then you should have received the Members email, which was sent to a group (not a campaign) with the custom query: Includes (Basic + Premium + Unlimited Members) MINUS those who have elected to opt out of all mailings.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools