Topic

Boilerwerks Is Back For Your Money.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Boilerwerks Is Back For Your Money.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I was amazed to see Devon trying for our wallets again. Aren’t people still waiting for his Midnight Clock from a few years ago? Thoughts?

https://backcountryboiler.com/

<h1>A limited number of Boilers are in stock!</h1>
    Hi All,

We have a new site and a few Boilers (about 30) in stock and ready to ship for the Holidays. I’m not sure when we’ll be getting more, so if you want one now’s the time!

All the Best,
    Devin

Devin Montgomery
    Designer, Backcountry Boiler

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Someone please tell me why I can’t edit my original posts, lately….

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Getting my Backcountry Boiler from him a few years ago was like wrestling an antelope carcass from a grizzly.

I dunno, I guess he thinks we forgot.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

I was lucky my first time and picked up a new/used Boiler from the gear swap, and not so lucky when I went to get a second for my son directly from Devon. That was a two year ordeal I would not wish on anyone. No matter how cool his stuff is, it’s not worth taking a chance. Very bad customer service and borderline dishonest business practices, imho. Buyer beware.

That said, I still have and use, my original Boiler. It’s one of my most cherished items of kit. Paired with a large Zelph stove, it’s perfect for me year round.

A great alternative, one I would get if I were in the market, is the mKettle. That is what I bought my son and it is a bit heavier, but the overall construction and quality is far superior. It survived two tours with the Marines in Afghanistan, and that says a lot.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/MKettle.html

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

That’s a shame. My hand is twitching to shave that 5 oz off my mKettle. I’ve read through the previous threads before though, just going to have to suck it up and go with the good pass on it advice.

EDIT: Never mind then :) I’ll be thankful for those extra ounces.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Someone please tell me why I can’t edit my original posts, lately….

I think the reason is someone misbehaved so initial posts cannot be edited now. You may (or may not) have noticed that people put blank placeholder posts as the first post in most gearswap threads now so they can edit.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Shawn…i’d ditch the 5oz. somewhere else. Your mKettle is superior, imho.

Matthew…thanks, I hadn’t noticed.

Honestly, I am dubious that Devon actually has any Boilers in stock. I bet he just needs $3K or so for holiday gifts. I bet we start seeing “Where’s My Boiler!”, and “Any Experiences With Boilerwerks Customer Service???” threads start popping up around Jan/Feb.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

I want so bad to buy one to replace the leaking one Devon was suppose to warranty, but I noticed there is no contact info on the new website. SCAM!!!! Don’t trust that dude at all!

Catherine Harley
    BPL Member

@cathyjc

Locale: Scotland

@Kurt – I had a leaky one too – It’s easily rectified with some JB Weld.  You do have that in the US ??

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

jb weld on a cooking vessel sounds really sketchy to me

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“JB Weld on a cooking vessel sounds really sketchy to me”

Matthew,

Because of the temperature resistance or some concern about exposure to toxic chemicals?

Durability: I’ve used JB Weld to secure aluminum heat-exchanger fins on the bottom of an aluminum pot and it work okay.  They were in a direct pre-mixed propane-air flame many, many times before any of them started to detach.  Using it to patch the water-containing vessel itself would be a less demanding application.

Toxic chemicals?  Most of the ingredients – carbon black, limestone, iron, and various phenols – I have in my kitchen already.  Titanium dioxide is in many of my sunscreens.  The silica and glass fibers are potentially bad to breath, but they’re all in the vicious putty, so I don’t see a pathway to inhalation.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

yeah my thought process went something like “jb weld sounds really chemically” but i definitely have no idea what i’m talking about :)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^ you are a breath of fresh air Matthew

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I lol’d for reals.

I’m on a mission to use “that sounds really chemically” in a conversation this week.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Devon has scammed so many people including me, I have had to track him down under so many different online business ventures that he starts and then abandons. For years he has promised to pay me back and hasn’t. I received a boilerwerks is back email about a month or 2 back( I am sure that was by mistake, I was on a list after being a customer when he first started boilerwerks) saying he was starting up again, when I emailed back when was he going to pay me he replied that when he sold some stoves he would pay me back, I am not holding my breath. He does have a Law degree so he wouldn’t do anything he knows is unethical .

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

He does have a Law degree so he wouldn’t do anything he knows is unethical

Yeah, maybe a couple generations ago.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

More like provable. LOL.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I notice that a lot of politicians have law degrees…

Cheers

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Thanks for the thread and the warning. It’s always good to know which vendors to avoid.

Bob K
    BPL Member

@seventy2002

jb weld on a cooking vessel sounds really sketchy to me

Cured epoxy is non-toxic. I’ve eaten many meals out of Sigg pot I patched with JB Weld 30+ years ago. No ill effects.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

consider small claims court.  Straight forward, no lawyers and a pretty good upper limit settlement (up to $10k?).  Good luck.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

That’s a shame.  The Backcountry Boiler is actually a pretty good piece of kit.

HJ

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The Backcountry Boiler has some grin factor, but for me, I found that it really didn’t match my style of hiking all that well.  But I do agree that it’s great piece of gear and it’s unfortunate that the business aspects of it went down the toilet.

I’ve got no case against him, and I’ve never sued anyone, so this is more of a question than a proclamation.  How would you establish venue in this case?  I understand how it works in criminal court and that in certain cases, there may be multiple venues as a crime may have been committed while crossing multiple lines of jurisdiction.  Is that the case here in civil court where he can be sued in the venue where it was sold and the venue where it was purchased (i.e sued in Massachusetts or wherever it was in New England where it was produced and also in Washington/Oregon where the customer resides)?

Where’s Judge Judy when you need her?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I believe in this situation the venue would be in the county where the defendant lives or does business.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools