Topic

Bob Open 2018

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Open 2018

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Locale: Montana

Damn, although based on my rerouting, we are at about the same distance compared to the original route with about 500 less total elevation. And hiking up the Danaher does not suck.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

So, I guess that means the pre-event festivities will be at Trixies?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Trixies around 5-ish :)

We (John, Kevin, Andrew and myself) just got back from an expedition up the North Fork.  You can drive all the way to about 2.75 miles from the campground (a mile-ish from the bridge Dave was mentioning).  There are some deep pockets of snow on the road, but a lot cleared off as well- if I was a betting man, I would guess we’ll be able to get to the trailhead in three weeks time.

The North Fork is raging, pictures won’t do it justice, but it’s crazy.  We made it to the North Fork cabin, snowshoeing the majority of the way, but a few nice stretches without.  That should improve considerably in three weeks as well.

It was very warm today- 75 at my truck this afternoon, with a rain rolling in.  There is a lot of snow and will still be plenty in three weeks.  Creek crossings (or river crossings if those are in your plans) will be challenging; in my view even more challenging than the snow.

About a 20 miles out and back and then it was big burgers and drank cold beer at Trixies :)

Thad A
    BPL Member

@thad

NFBF will be a good alternate route considering the bridges to the cabin.  And yes, I finally bit the bullet and paid the seven bucks for posting privileges, principles be damned.

Ticks were awful up NFBF last year, so I’m a little curious to see if it was a one time deal or if they’re still going strong.  I found eighty plus (I counted) when I got back from a horseback ride above the cabin about three weeks before the Open.  They also seem to jump off other people to get to me, though.  I guess I’m delicious.  Looking at Mike’s pictures, there’s quite a bit more snow than last year, although we did have to dig a thirty yard stretch to get the horses through around what appears to be the vicinity of his top picture.

Regardless, the stream crossings are going to be pretty crazy this year.  The melt is in full swing, but there’s still a bunch of snow left.  Curious how high the Two Medicine will be toward the end?  Hoping not to get trapped on the wrong side when I’m almost at the end and seeing houses on the other side.  I’m planning to head up to Marias the weekend before the Open to scope it out, so I’ll provide a report assuming everything goes as planned.

For informational purposes, I hiked up copper creek last weekend and the road was completely melted off (dry gravel) once you got about two miles above the sucker creek turn. I would bet a decent amount of money that you’d be able to drive up there with another three weeks of melting. It had been snowmobile tracks from the bridge (where I parked), but someone punched a truck up to Sucker Creek turn by the time I was on my way out that evening.

I went up Sucker then looped around toward Indian Meadows, but didn’t try to get all the way up there since I mostly stayed up high. I was able to stay on top of the snow without snowshoes, although it would have been faster with them on. Snow ought to be pretty well consolidated by the Open. The only real problem was the usual issue of stepping next to a buried down log and plunging into the surrounding weak space, but I was off trail most of time so more downfall than if I’d been on trail.  I was pretty pleased with the conditions until I cracked a rib toward the end of the day dropping down a steep embankment and breaking through on top of a skid rail that threw me into a standing tree trunk.  I hate the sound of bones cracking, especially when they’re mine.

Still giving me fits, but hoping to be good to go in a few weeks. Did a half day today and it felt okay as long as I wasn’t really sucking wind.  Worst part is getting out of bed for some reason, but when isn’t that the case?  Must load the rib cage more than I realized when nothing hurts.  It’s going to be an interesting year.

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Coupe things to add about the trip yesterday:

No ticks yet.

Snow conditions were decent.  Not a lot of post-holing but snow was much sloppier in the afternoon.

The sun was quite bright. Sunscreen is a good idea as my red neck can attest this morning.

We probably used snowshoes for 14 of 19 miles yesterday.  Much will be gone in a few weeks but be ready for lots of time on the shoes.

Nick Aschenwald
    BPL Member

@n-aschenwald-2

My intel is dated but ill offer it up anyways.

Mid march we skied up the NFBF into the Danaher and on to Big Prairie.

The amount of snow in the Bob in March was absolutely amazing.

It was 1-2 feet above the deck height at the NFBF cabin in Mikes snowshoe pic for reference.

The Dry Pass and into the Danaher had a pile of snow. Our fire ring burned down about 5 ft of snow in the Danaher Meadows.

The upper S.F. had a little less snow than the Danaher but still an impressive snow pack.

We witnessed many loose wet avalanches and lots of debris slides. This dramatically warming spring weather could cause very dangerous Avy conditions.

With all the melting that has occurred I imagine the snow is vacating quickly, but a combo of snow potentially still in some valley bottoms and crazy high water could equal very tough conditions to make miles.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

As of this morning essentially every gauged waterway originating in the Bob is setting an all-time record.

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Locale: Front Range

I just looked at the water gauges myself this morning and was certainly amazed at the recent changes.  The SF of the Sun has nearly tripled output in the last 6 days.

Packrafting options have certainly become even more of a question-mark in the last week.

With the new start, maybe I can find a route that will take me to the bridge just south of Pretty Prairie.  I’m sure that’s where my spoon fell out of my bag in 2016.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Thad has your spoon

:)

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Thad is the spoon

;p

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

“As of this morning essentially every gauged waterway originating in the Bob is setting an all-time record.”

Great for flushing that wood out!

At least it’s happening now rather than in 3 weeks. Swimming the South Fork at 19,000 CFS would be quite the experience.

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Thad has your spoon

I don’t believe you!

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

Badger pass stats for memorial weekend last year for reference.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

we were headed in the right direction, but looks like they (Badger Pass) picked up 8-ish” of snow last night

we have some warmer weather on the way early next week, that should put a little dent into it

flows are still at or near historic highs for most of the drainages

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Am I reading Badger Pass wrong? I’m seeing a fast decline from 81″ on May 4th (and 100″ on April 23) down to 66″ today (May 11).

Considering Scott’s table shows 60″ on May 25 last year, it looks like we’re comfortably on pace to be below that.

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Yep that’s what I’m seeing, although looks like we received 10 inches with the weather we had yesterday.  I hold no illusions that this will the most snow I’ve ever dealt with for the Open.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Oh yeah I see that now. Back up to 76″.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Dan- look at the snotel today- went up 10″ (66 -> 76″)

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

I knew i should have kept my mouth shut!! I knew it was too good to be true.

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

looks like the mich crew is not making it this year –two of the guys have work conflicts, my last last partner has suffered a hip injury that prevents his going. best of luck to the rest of you . Definitely going to be an interesting walk in the woods.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

hopefully the stars will align next year for you guys!

this this just might turn into one we all wish we were sitting out :)

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

Will be one for the records for sure! I will be there next year , got my pack weight down where it belongs, you might remember the size if our gear from last year – we learned alot out there . Never filed a trip report but it was an adventure for sure – we had a 400lb griz walk into camp the first night – then hit a deer on the way home in the dakotas that took the  out front of motor home – 22k in damages!  Lots of other stories inbetween – i expect to be at the start this year just to cheer you guys on ! Ive planned on it do my wife and i are coming out fir some hiking anyways

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Nice. It’ll be great to see you.

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Can someone share any knowledge about cell service at Benchmark or at the Gibson Reservoir?  My ride will be camping somewhere and will want nearby service in case I bail.  Gibson is closer to civilization, but Benchmark would be a nice base camp for a couple days.

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Non existent at benchmark IIRC.  You could hike above Kenck cabin for service though (like at least a mile).

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools