Topic

Bob Open 2018

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Open 2018

Viewing 9 posts - 226 through 234 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Sweet. Nice read. Thanks Mike.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

yeah I thought the guy did a pretty decent job with it; I never even noticed him at the start

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Maybe he showed up late? And just spoke with Dan M. and other spectators?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

must have; probably got tipped off by our presence at Trixies- it’s very small community :)

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

Cool read. I saw Abel at the start for about 10 seconds for the picture and that was it. Speaking of the start picture, does anyone have one to post of everyone at the start?

I’m still limping around a bit but already thinking about next year. Can’t wait.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

To clear up the mystery— 30-40- minutes after most had cleared the trail head,” joe reporter” also editor, publisher and photographer of the local paper came rocketing into to parking lot. His late arrival was triggered by a conversation over breakfast that morning with his wife about their latest renters of their airbnb. As fate would have it , the two privious nights their abode had been rented by none other than Able, Lou, Karen, and pooch , AKA the mich/colo. crew , participants in this years BOB event. Some may remember , last year the same basic team had rolled into camp sat morning  at 7:45 after an all night drive. They were determined not to repeat that process and arrived two days earlier to be well rested for the start.  Myself- Dan M., AKA in  the article as Dave Mintner , and the above mentioned crew , whom were still toeing the starting line, met him there , and informed him that indeed his wife was right ,and the official start was in fact at 8:00 .  Though some what chagrined at his timing , he was pleased to be able to speak with some of the actual participants. We did our best to fill in some of the particulars of this event we all love, trying not to embellish to much, but still expressing what is so unique about the event. I think he fell into the crowd we’ve all met who’s response when hearing the details of the event is “and that sounds like fun to you ???”. He admitted that although he had lived in Lincoln for quite some time , he had never been up the trailhead.  I’m quite sure he was baffled at the opens existence. All that being said , I want to thank Dave, Mike, Dan , and the rest of the crowd that have been so instrumental in starting and keeping this event going. The trip reports are all great, both entertaining as well as educational. They well depict the spirit of the participants , and do much to convey what draws this group together. I know there has been some discussion of changing the location of the event. I would like to say that part of the essence of what makes the BOB Open so special is the wilderness factor. There is nowhere else in the lower 48 that has all those elements- griz, wolves, true wilderness adventure. Without those , in another location, it becomes just another walk in  the woods. I unabashedly admit that I love Montana, the northwest corner the most, and while any reason for this flatlander to return will do, this is the best reason. I thoroughly enjoyed the start this year, if  only as  a spectator, I will return next year as a participant again.  Dan and Will- a job very well done, very impressive to say the least- hope to see you back at it again next year !

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I finally put the finishing touches on my Bob Open video trip report. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P0TDQpXGB0

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Dan,

Thanks for your video… you are TOUGH (smile).

Viewing 9 posts - 226 through 234 (of 234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools