Topic

Bob Marshall snowpack/melt this year

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Bob Marshall snowpack/melt this year

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Skibbs
    Spectator

@skibbs

Locale: Conifer, CO

Thanks for all the feedback, I don’t know how I managed missed the burnt park label on my Cairn map, but I did… Great video Dan, looks like something I would like to do in the future, thanks for sharing!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

It’s been an interesting/odd year for river flows in the Bob.  The Badger-Two Med got less snow than everywhere else, low elevations melted early, and going into June it was only the areas above 7500′ or so which held significant snow.  Thus we saw the Sun forks and the South Fork go down pretty fast, while the Middle Fork has been holding on a bit better.  I ran Schafer to 25 Mile on the Middle Fork yesterday, and while the West Glacier gauge said 2600+ cfs I had much more water on the same section two years ago when the gauge said 2000.  My analysis; lots more snow in Glacier and the Flathead range, which are contributing an unusually large percentage of the flow into the Middle Fork.  Unless you’re going in the next week, I wouldn’t put in on the Middle Fork above Granite Creek.

The South Fork is a very different river above 5000-6000 cfs.  Below that everything above Meadow Creek is fairly user friendly.  Above that flow odd stuff can happen in many places.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools