Topic

Bob Marshall Open 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Marshall Open 2019

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 156 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Dave C just announced the date and start/finish for the 2019 Bob Marshall Open. May 25/19 0800 starting at Swift Reservoir and finishing at Swan Lake campground.

All usual rules apply.

Good luck everyone!

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Damn was really hoping to bring my therapy llamas.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Jarred O
    Spectator

@set7-2

Thanks for the heads up Mike.

I took a look through Caltopo and created a few routes. I had hoped to make this my first year in attendance but my PostBac will take longer than anticipated – through June -and I won’t be able to make it work.

I’m interested in seeing what routes other people come up with to see how they compare to what I envision. The Pasayten is the wilderness I create challenging trips in and I have little experience in the Rockies so this will be a good litmus test and tracking context for route development for the following year.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

not a really straight forward route, add in the very likely potential for very high water and it becomes even less clear- like always, will definitely prove interesting :)

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

I just stumbled onto this adventure this summer and I am excited to participate. I am a Kalispell local and will be scouting routes. Its been a few years since i was in the Flottila basin/Twin creek area.

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

i’m in as long as i don’t draw a Smith River Permit for that week.

Thinking strongly about a packraft this year. Off trail routes West of the Reservoir are looking interesting.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

In the early years my route planning process was governed solely by doing routes I wanted to do personally, and checking out new rivers and creeks.  In the last few years it is both satisfying and sad that I can’t plan a non-circuitous route across the Bob without going over extended stretches I’ve been to before, and that the list of promising and unexplored creeks is almost at zero.

So I’ve now pivoted to trying to give everyone else access to new terrain, along with a suite of route options without an obvious first choice.  Having routes which disincentivize pack bridges, while still being safe without a boat, is a big part of that.

I’m excited to slog over the northern Swan Range again.  The snow and blowdown up there is always impressive.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

I am building a route based on the lack of a pack raft. Could a person use the cable car at Tin Creek as a means to cross the South Fork?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Tom, I’ve never bothered to stop and see if the cable car was unlocked.  Can’t imagine it is, but if not….

Snow pack shaping up decently.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Dave,

I may just plan on crossing at spotted bear bridge but that would nix my bushwack route from Flotilla into Head creek. There doesnt seem to be much chatter about this trip?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

it’s a wee bit early and often at this stage- routes are kept close to the vest :)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Looks like a nice course. Neat to see floating the Spotted Bear is a plausible option.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Mike,

10-4 😉👍🏼

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

It has been an odd winter thus far:

Up high the amount of water isn’t (yet) egregiously behind the norm, but there have been lots of warm, windy, and sunny spells.  That means that, should this trend continue, low elevation snowpack won’t amount to much, and will thus melt off quickly.  Southerly aspects are also likely, as of today, thinner than you’d otherwise suspect.  Both of these things could be altered drastically by big snow in the next 2 months.  What won’t change is the horrendously unstable snowpack all the sun and wind crusts and depth hoar have created.  While they won’t necessarily be big, I expect to see more mid-winter avalanche debris than is typical.

And for everyone who has asked recently, there is no sign up list and no official record of participation.   Just show up.  In the Instagram age asking the tree falls in the forest question is more important than ever.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Was in the Upper Little Blackfoot drainage this weekend (not in the Bob, but not overly far away either), way more snow than I expected- at least two feet in the bottom of the drainage (~ 6000′)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Things change in a month.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

also low level snow a lot deeper than a month ago

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

also low level snow a lot deeper than a month ago

And continuing!

Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

Looking forward to it! Right now I’m planning on floating the middle fork if the water is low enough for Three Forks to at least be worth taking a look at.

I’m planning on getting out there a week-ish before Memorial Day. If any of y’all are around that week and want to do something up in Glacier or in the Bob holler my way. I’d love to meet up for a quick trip before the Open.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

I was in the swan yesterday scouting a optional route and trying out a new set of snow shoes. Not much snow at all below 5500′ and lots above. Lots of prior avalanche activity and tons of debris. Should make for a good time at the end. :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ interesting- thanks!

Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

Not strictly on topic, but anyone know what Swiftcurrent pass usually looks like in late May? I’m thinking about trying a many glacier-highline-Chaney glacier-belly river loop in glacier before the open. Last year a ranger swore up and down to me that Swiftcurrent pass would be impossible until it melted out because of the cliffs, but looking at the map it looks like either of the two creeks that feed bullhead lake should go. I’ll bring crampons and an axe for that sections and because I imagine the highline will be mostly sidehilling on steep snow.

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

Will – 2 years ago we hiked  up to the top end of swiftcurrent right after the open – i know im not the mountain man you are —- but I’ve been over the pass to granite in the summer and there is no way i would want to go there that early . Last year we were there also and the campground wasn’t open yet — still snow around — I’m sure some locals could advise better , but I’d pass

Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

Ah, thanks Dan. I don’t suppose when you were up there two years ago or when you went over the pass you got a look at that creek that runs down just north of the trail into bullhead lake? Looks promising on google earth, like it cuts a notch into the cliffs that might go with an axe and crampons. I’ll probably just wind up hiking out there and taking a look, can’t hurt to check it out :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 156 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools