Topic

Big Agnes Zoom UL?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Agnes Zoom UL?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brian
    Spectator

@kenna2016

I’ve only seen very limited info on the Big Agnes Zoom UL. Specifically just what’s posted on their website.

https://www.bigagnes.com/products/zoom-ul-insulated

Has anyone heard anything about a release date? I’m in the market for a new pad and this looks very interesting and checks a lot of my boxes as I was thinking of going with the BA Rapide SL.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Looks promising.

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

I have no idea about a release date of the Zoom, but the Rapide SL is like the Q-Core SLX but with a higher R-Value (it’s like the SLX got a makeover). The BA Zoom UL looks like the BA ALX Air from a couple years ago. ALX had I bean construction (different style on the Zoom and the Zoom has a much better R-Value) but smaller pack size and lighter than the SLX. I have no idea how the Rapide will compare to the Zoom but I did have both the ALX and the SLX pads. I can tell you after having both pads (ALX and SLX) the weight savings and the packability of the ALX were not savings in my opinion. The SLX was thicker, warmer and more comfortable. On paper the ALX looked like the pad I wanted but in practice the ALX didn’t compare to the SLX. This could totally be a different ballgame for the Rapide and the Zoom but try to test both of them side by side if at all possible. I had bought the SLX first and couldn’t resist the ALX (because it was smaller packed up and it weighed less) and then after sleeping on the ALX a couple times wished I wouldn’t have wasted my money. I could be way off but that’s my two cents and the Zoom and the ALX have a lot of similarities. I also very much value my sleep and I’m also very picky about my pad.

Brian
    Spectator

@kenna2016

I appreciate that run down. I’ve gotten to the point where my NeoAir and my Exped 7UL just aren’t cutting it as far as comfort goes and I’m willing to carry a little more weight for a more comfortable mattress. That’s pretty much why I’m leaning toward the Rapide SL. However, the Zoom UL looks like the same style but lighter so I’m really interested because if the comfort is similar but it’s 2/3 the weight then it may be a winner.

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

I will say the Big Agnes aren’t the lightest pads on the market but if comfort is what you are looking for your can’t go wrong. I’ve had 4 BA sleeping pads and they all where very comfortable. I was a wilderness therapy guide and that was my sleeping pad of choice. I also have found them to reasonably durable. I’ve only had 1 get a hole in it and another that had an I-beam separate. BA replaced/warrantied the pad that had the I-beam separate.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

I emailed Big Agnes about this pad – they said it should be in stock sometime in May.

Superficially the Zoom is the successor to the old AXL, but it’s a new design for BA. It uses different “Q-Beam” baffling that looks very Sea to Summit inspired. The insulation is a double layer reflective film instead of Primaloft. And they are using recycled fabric.

By the specs, it is positioned between the Xlite NXT and Nemo Tensor in weight and R Value. It’s thicker than both of those pads though, and has the raised side baffles. A very interesting pad! I doubt it will be as comfortable as the Rapide – nothing touches the comfort of the BA Q-Core pads and their I-Beam design, in my experience.

Brian
    Spectator

@kenna2016

May!? It’s been on their website since the beginning of the year! I guess I’ll just have to be patient. I may get a Rapide and wait to see what comes of the Zoom. Maybe I’ll get one for next season if the reviews are positive. I’m thinking of tackling the TRT in late summer/early fall.

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

17 oz for 25 inch, 4.3, and a mattress like top. Seems way better than the Rapide. Looks like a winner.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Preliminary look at the Zoom UL

Brandon K
    Spectator

@bfkolle22

For anyone wondering like me, I contacted Big Agnes and they told me that the Zoom UL uses 20d face fabric as opposed to the 30d on the Rapide (or Xlite). Durability might be questionable, especially in the long term.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

The Nemo Tensor also uses 20d, but the current fabric seems to be more durable than the original Tensor, which would get holes from pine needles. Calendared nylon has more puncture resistance than standard nylon. In other words, raw numbers give a hint, but don’t tell the whole story.

I ran into the BA rep at the local REI. They were thinking April release and said after the AXL debacle had done a lot more field testing of the Zoom. Ironic the 2 field test on YT say the R value is not real world 4.2, but more like 3.7 or lower. The R test follow strict protocols, so who knows what is up with real world experience. By way of comparison the Exped 3R is exactly R3 to just below freezing. If colder I pull out the old T-rest Neoair. On the bubble I take an old GG/MLD thinlight pad which adds at least 1 R and maybe a bit more.

Kelly C
    BPL Member

@drsolarmolar-2

I’ve now seen two YouTube reviews on the Zoom and neither one was particularly enthusiastic about it.

Brian
    Spectator

@kenna2016

I’ve only seen (and can find) the one from Backcountry Exposure. He was cold at 17deg with a CCF pad which is not surprising, it’s a 3 season pad. Everything else he had to say was positive. I’ve purchased a Rapide SL because I want a year for other people to work out kinks before I buy the Zoom UL.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Brian, try this.  The reviewer starts his comments on the Zoom UL  around  5:06.

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

The pad is up for sale. I grabbed two of the 25×72. I’m not trusting the YouTubers on this one. I’ll give it a shot. I always use a thin lite foam pad underneath anyway. I’m stoked for this.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

For $230 in Reg/Wide I will wait until REI gets it, hopefully before the end of May anniversary sale. Same for any other $200+ pad! Not to mention it’s easy to return if not happy.

VeggieHeather
    BPL Member

@veggieheather

I ordered one today. After seeing those 2 videos on YouTube and reading the info from all the comments here, I felt torn. But after some thought I figured this will work very well for my purposes. I currently have the Sea to Summit Comdort Plus Insulated pad in the mummy shape and while I love the warmth and comfort, I need a wide pad that weighs less. And living in Texas, I also wanted something a tad less warm. So this feedback of the R Value not being accurate might work in my favor. I hope I’ve found a winner in the Zoom UL.

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

I recieved mine today and they are what I expected. It feels just as light as my Xlite NXT, but more comfortable than my Rapide and Tensor. It’s not as comfortable as my ErherLite XT, but what is right? I think all in all, this pad is the clear winner. I’m impressed.

Brian
    Spectator

@kenna2016

Oh man, that makes me excited. Now someone use it on the PCT or other long trail to see how it holds up. Please?

VeggieHeather
    BPL Member

@veggieheather

I got mine I  yesterday! Website says 17oz for the regular/wide. The packaging says 18oz. And my scale says 18.4oz. Still shaving nearly a pound off my current sleeping pad. It’s a little crunchy on the noise but not as bad as a NeoAir. I find it to be less comfy than my StS Comfort Plus Insulated. But for the weight savings and wide version i’ll take it! I think people will be very happy with this pad!

Brian
    Spectator

@kenna2016

Thanks for the update, it sounds pretty promising. Let us know how it holds up when you get a trip on it. I’m curious about the durability of it and I’d like to hear what people think about the ‘cold spots’ in regular summer conditions.

Shawn H
    BPL Member

@renegade84

Hate to be the barer of bad news, but I contacted REI support to inquire when the pad would be available, they aren’t going to carry it as of now. Looks like I will be buying it from MooseJaw or Enwild, both with similarly  good customer service and returns.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Thanks for the heads up about REI, Shawn.

The Zoom UL rates #1 in a group of 9 air pads tested in a recent YT video.  The reviewer notes that the Zoom is not as warm as you would expect for it’s tested R value.  In the comments section, another reviewer states that he was cold at 33F.  Both state that the pad is very comfortable.

Another concern mentioned in this thread is about the durability.  Unfortunately, we’ll have to wait a while to get more of an indication on that.

Shawn H
    BPL Member

@renegade84

I saw that video just now, I placed an order on a website called “CAMPMAN.COM”. They have all sizes in stock and have a 20% off coupon “FIRST20OFF”. Hope this helps y’all out! My regular wide was originally $229.95 and I ended up paying $197.14 after taxes and shipping. Almost as cheap as the regular!

Shawn H
    BPL Member

@renegade84

UPDATE! They have a ridiculous coupon on the actual Big Agnes website, use “BATEAM” to get a huge discount. BATEAM (-$91.98). Only paid $142.24 after taxes and handling!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools