Topic

best PLB these days?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) best PLB these days?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Our rescuelink rescue beacon is 5 years old. Time to replace the battery…..or….maybe not?

I am very interested in what other people are using these days? I am cell-free, so I’m not super keen on needing a cell phone to use the PLB/GPS devices that require a cell phone.

So, I am open to suggestions. One thing that convinced us to go with the rescuelink beacon 5 years ago was that it had the strongest battery and transmit strength and would reportedly work in locations where the other devices (like inreach or spot)might fail . Your thoughts on this?

Thanks folks!

P.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

If I were buying a new PLB right now, I’d probably go with the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1.

But you already own a perfectly good PLB.  It would be a lot less expensive to just replace the battery.

If you’re entertaining the idea of a Satellite Messenger, take a good look at the Inreach Explorer + .  No cell phone needed.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

What Dondo said. +1

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Locale: PNW

Not to sound dumb, where do you reorder ACR spare batteries?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Batteries

https://beaconbatteryreplacement.com

no personal experience

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Locale: PNW

Thanks. I actually just used the self-test option and my batteries are still in good shape: And since I carry two, I’m good to go for now!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I’ve rented and taken the ACR ResQLink on 3 trips. Fortunately never had to use one, so no opinion regarding effectiveness.

The other thing I “carry” is emergency rescue insurance, in case I ever need to actually use a PLB. Only $100-$200 per year depending on the package.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

I actually just used the self-test option and my batteries are still in good shape

Paul – I think they are very conservative with their battery life predictions – your unit may still be fine.

My old McMurdo FastFind is over 6 years old now, and still tests 3/3 for battery and functionality.

Don’t really see any need to replace it yet. Or am I missing something?

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

David Gardner, can you tell us a little more about your rescue insurance? Who offers it, the $$ cost, the coverage?  Thanks!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I use Reach Air Medical Services/Calstar, part of the AirMedCare Network, $65/year

Combined with the Global+ Rescue Benefit from the American Alpine Club, $85/year

There are various options that increase the price for additional benefits. Basic plan covers the cost of search & rescue & helicopter medivac if needed. Additional benefits will pay to fly you from wherever you’re in the hospital to a hospital on your plan close to home.

Friend of mine cracked several ribs in a fall many miles off road in a SoCal desert and had to be helicoptered out. The bill was about $30,000, of which he paid $500. When he told me about that I signed up!

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

More on rescue insurance (vs. assistance) and ambulance helicopters here:

https://backpackinglight.com/rescue-insurance-backpackers-sanders/

Prices have only gone up in the last six years. One helicopter trip this spring of about 22 air miles billed over $50,000.

Read the fine print!

— Rex

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools