Topic

Best insulating sheet material?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best insulating sheet material?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I like to use sit pads, especially in winter, for day trips as well as overnight.

For day trips they are also part of my emergency gear: to be able to stay in place for a few hours or even all night without moving.

So I am looking for the best material to make these out of.
    Here are my considerations:

Would prefer smooth surface, not ribbed, in order to minimize snow/mud sticking to the pad when you pack it up again.

Want maximum insulation under pressure (sitting/lying on it).

Want it fairly thin, in order to preserve pack volume.

Seeing how well Thermarest does with reflective material in the Neoair, I was hoping to find some closed cell foam with reflective layer. Anyone know of any with smooth face?

The other material that comes to mind is Aerogel. I have read some mention of poor performce with regard to moisture though. Anyone know more about that?

Other materials you can think of? Perhaps some rigid cellular materials?

Edit: Aerogel themselves list a few products that are hydrophobic:

http://www.aerogeltechnologies.com/about/faqs/

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Well, I have the remains of a roll of 3/16″ closed cell foam floor underlayment. I have cut some of it to match my winter air mattress outline.

So I’ll make a sit pad of it. On snow or a log it might be enough – or not. I’ll report back.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Found this on BPL from a couple of years ago. Could probably use some updating.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

The links still worked.

is not a bad option. 10mm is not very thick, but it’s a start.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“The other material that comes to mind is Aerogel. I have read some mention of poor performce with regard to moisture though. Anyone know more about that?”

I bought a roll of aerogel a bunch of years ago, hoping to make some practical use of it. While its hard to describe, I don’t feel like (what I got) was ready for prime-time. It seemed flimsy, the silicone “poofs” out pretty easily, and it’s hard to wash off my hands. I do think it might be useful contained inside of a fabric liner. Currently, my wife is sewing some 3″x6″ rectangular “panels” to insert inside of my mitts.

Regarding rigid insulation, I spec a bunch of  of it for homes, but I’d never consider using it for hiking. Its not comfortable and the thinner rigid products would snap apart if your not careful. Reflectix could be an option but it becomes very slippery if your on snow (makes a great sled!).

In the meantime, EVA CCF foam is probably still your best bet.

Here’s an interesting one you could easily cut down. Real thin but it has a high R value given its thickness: http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/multimat-uno

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I’ve always just used a cut down piece of Thermarest z-lite pad. They also make the z-seat. I mostly use it for winter trips and ice climbing. Snow and mud don’t really stick to it very well, and you can easily shake it out. I bought the kind that has a silvery side to it, but I’m not sure that really makes an awful lot of difference.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools