Topic

Best Backpacking shorts ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Backpacking shorts ?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

I’m picking your brains on backpacking shorts. Which ones do you like and for what reasons ?

Thanks for your input !!!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My favorites are a pair of older Mountain Hardwear shorts, I think they are the Refueler.

I picked up some very similar Old Navy shorts for $12 this past summer that are really nice for the money as well.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Patagonia Baggies – 5 inch inseam of course, see Fletcher’s second law of thermodynamic hiking.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-baggies-shorts-5-inch/57021.html

Why I like them:
    – Short
    – Tough
    – Long-wearing
    – Dry fast enough
    – Light enough
    – Available in many colors and patterns
    – Side pockets are useful but stay out of the way
    – Back pocket is useless but doesn’t get in the way
    – Waistband works but doesn’t chafe under a hip belt
    – The Patagonia label is sewn on and easily removed
    – They look good enough in town
    – You can swim in them and not regret it
    – They fit me
    – I’ve been wearing them for decades
    – Option to cut out the mesh liner for better thermodynamics
    – Did I mention tough? You can sit on gnarly rocks and not put holes in them

Like many backpacking items, “best” is different for everyone.

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Baggies +1. Have a pair on now.

Quiet fabric too, no swishing.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Love Baggies also. The 7″ model pockets I would describe as saddle bags. Everything Rex said.

My favorite in low abrasion situations however are an old pair of Reebok exercise shorts. About 15 years old. Only come out on summer hikes. Super thin fabric, very airy, great mesh inside. Good pockets. Super quick to dry. The fabric is so worn that a rip is imminent. I have tried other think swimming trunks, but don’t seem as airy. I got a pair of LUL argon shorts for my brother from someone here. I think Dutch makes the same thing now. I will probably try those next when my Reebok rip.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I’ve been using the Baggies for about 30 years or more. I cut out the liners. I really prefer light weigh polyester running shorts with front pockets, but they don’t last long and are hard to find. I really like the New Balance Men’s 5-Inch Go 2 Shorts, but they (of course) have been discontinued. I have two left and use them for day hikes, where I’m not as tough on shorts.

So the Baggies are a “qualified” best. I don’t think there is a best, just what works for the individual.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Either:

A pair of 5″ running shorts with front pockets, no rear/horizontal zippered stash pocket, a light airy fabric and the liner cut out. As Nick said, they can harder to find. I have a newer pair of Nike’s and an older pair of Salomons that fit this.

Patagonia 5″ Baggies with the liner cut out.

Patagonia Stretch Wavefarer Board Shorts.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Shorts, never use them. I usually just use my underpants. Hanes, Patagonia, etc all make good quality, synthetic underwear. I rinse these out every day and just wear my long johns at night. The shorts dry overnight, usually…sometimes the waist band is a little damp.

My legs got really torn up on a week long hike when I was a kid wearing shorts. I always avoid them.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Definitely location dependent.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Another Patagonia baggies fan!

I too cut out the liner mesh.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I really like these:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/travel-short-blk-32-club-item-980073447/prod22101871.ip

They are great backpacking shorts, but the feature I like best is that they are under $15 at Sam’s Club.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

I like zip-off pants. Sometimes it gets too hot so I zip them off. Sometimes it gets to cool (especially morning and evening hours in mountains) so I zip them back on. I have several nylon-brand types.

-Barry

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

In recent years I have switched to tri-shorts with pockets on the thigh. Major reason is no more problems with chaffing and they dry very quickly.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used to wear shorts.  Now I wear pants – sun, bug, branch protection

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

All I wear for backpacking are Supplex/Nylon shorts with a built-in liner. For me, absolutely ideal not to wear underwear.

All those I wear have a 5″ to no more than 6″ inseam. Those are hard to find, but as pointed out, Patagonia still offers the 5″ Baggies. I got my first pair in 1982! However, most of the colors/patterns are revolting…

It’s pretty disappointing for those of us that grew up wearing actual shorts, that most of what pass for shorts today are essentially “Man-Capri’s” and not shorts at all.

Still, LL Bean makes a 6″ Supplex short that’s just as good, less money, and has better solid color offerings.

I’ve hoarded a bunch of TNF “Class V Belted Shorts” with 6″ inseam (hard to find).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It would be easy to cut off shorts to the desired length.  You wouldn’t even have to hem them.  I used to do that with Levis : )

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

My only complaint on my nylon Baggies is it seems like the waistband elastic wears out way too fast compared to the rest of the garment and the draw string is skimpy and that’s especially noticeable after the elastic is shot.

I also have a pair of hemp Baggies (Ha!)

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

I don’t like anything that resembles a belt or belt loops near the hipbelt area and prefer running shorts down to about 40 degrees unless there is some sort of precipitation. Nike Dri-fit works well and washes and dries easily.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I prefer shorts with a flat waistband as opposed to the scrunchy waistband more often found. I found a pair of Asics running shorts at my local TJ Maxx which are awesome. Pockets and flat waistband, very thin and light material, 4 way stretch. Yep, awesome. I did have to make them a bit shorter though.

Altra actually makes a few nice pairs of shorts as well. And +1 on the Nike Dri-Fit – several models also have flat waistbands.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I found my absolute favs at a thrift store for $3

They are made my Reva. and they are light weight stretchy running shorts with build in compression liner.

full pockets on both sides with one being zippered.

f’in perfect imo! love em.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I recently got the TNF Linerless Shorts.  Light and dry very quickly.  They are a decently length, advertised as 7″ but feel a bit longer; I would prefer 6.5″ with split sides and they would be perfect.

Kevin R
    BPL Member

@kevinr

I’ve got a pair of the previous version of 6″ LL Bean’s that are similar to the Baggies. They’ve generally worked out well- good fit, durable, and great pockets (including a Velcro closed back pocket). The only changes I would make would be better fitting elastic in the waistband and smoother fabric.  I think in the current version they’re fixed both those things, so I’d be interested in hearing if anyone has tried them.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools