Topic

beginners questions about thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear beginners questions about thread

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I have been reading Ray Jardines book, and want to try a few hand-sewing mods to our tent rain fly. I think its 70D nylon.

Ray mentions “long-fiber medium weight polyester thread”  most websites use #’s to describe thread weight. What #’s do you suppose Ray is referring to when he says “medium?”

Can anyone point me to where to get long-fiber medium weight polyester thread?

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I might add, Ray mentions using a #80 needle for medium weight fabrics, so maybe that implies the thread weight?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve used Gutterman thread from fabric store.  Occasionally a thread broke in a finished project, no big deal, I just re-sewed.

I used Gutterman Mara 70 from RSBTR on recent project.  Thread is about twice as thick.  It worked fine on home sewing machine.  I think I’ll use that in the future.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Gutterman Mara 70 paired with a size 90/14 needle works well for ultralight backpacks and other mid-weight uses. If you’re making a rain fly, you might consider a 30D fabric instead if weight is an concern or yours. 70D is pretty heavy for either a light weight and especially for an ultralight tent or rain fly. For 30D material I’ve used the Mara 100 “sew-all” thread by Gutterman paired with size 70/10 needles with good results.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

You can also order thread from Ray’s website. I’ve used his thread on a bunch of projects, both for his kits and my own stuff and like it a lot, for its strength and feel. No color choices though.

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

The “weight” of thread is very confusing for a person just getting started.  The old system of WEIGHT is not very helpful.  Most thread these days will be specified by a TEX number which is described as the number of grams for 1000 meters so the higher the weight in GRAMS the heavier (and thicker) the thread.

The “medium” thread in question (1oz/800yd)  equates to a TEX 40.  Most common thread in a store rack is Tex 30.  Most likely you will have to order Tex 40 from some online source.  Gutterman Mara 70 (Tex 40) is a very popular choice.  One source ref: Waywak

If your hand-sewn project is not extensive you could just use “regular” thread from store rack and use two strands while stitching…thread the needle and knot ends together.  Just make sure it is 100% polyester.

Happy Sewing

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Metler Metrosene Plus thread has worked best for me, in terms of ease of use and strength for weight.   It is discussed at:  https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/71376/page/2/

But it may be as difficult to source where others live as Roger Caffin’s recommended Rasant thread is where I live, not far from ‘Vacman and Bobbin’ in Laconia NH.  A shop that markets sewing machines and caters to seamsters will probably have something much better than Walmart or the chain fabric/sewing outlets.

Andrew Stevens
    BPL Member

@nuttool

I use #69 bonded thread.  It is really strong and works with everything I sew for packs, bivies and tarps.  I just left one of my first negative reviews of some thread I bought on Amazon, but all of the other thread I’ve bought has worked great.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools