Topic

BeFree prefilter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BeFree prefilter

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Interesting find. I’ve not heard of that. I can’t imagine it would hurt the function of the filter.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Interesting.  I wonder how often sediment is a problem with the BeFree.  Mine all go bad by another mechanism (whatever locks them up tight after they’ve been dry for months).

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

I store mine immersed in water with a couple drops of bleach, based on others’ reports of drying out. Never had a problem.

These prefilters could be useful in GCNP or other silty sources.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

I store mine immersed in water with a couple drops of bleach, based on others’ reports of drying out. Never had a problem.

For how long do you store them that way?  Do you screw them onto a normal dirty bag or put them into some other container?  (Sorry for the thread drift.)

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

Yes, screwed onto dirty bag. Maybe max 6 months? (I got to Australia and Hawaii the last 2 winters :-)) Wouldn’t hesitate to do from fall through June.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

My BeFrees have all suffered from sediment. I’ll be buying some of these. Thanks.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Yes, screwed onto dirty bag”

I just put mine in a tall cup of water. I change the water once a month.

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

The clogging problem was discussed last year.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/another-katadyn-befree-filter-issue-solved-differently/

It seems there are hard water deposits left on the filter when it dries out.  I see some folks have used a dilute vinegar solution to clean it.  I tried a bit of lemon juice in water last year and that seemed to work OK.  I wouldn’t use CLR that some folks suggested.

I noticed on a couple of trips that the first time I used it the flow rate was very minimal.  But a couple of hours later at the next water source, the flow was good.  So I think that once the filter stays wet for a while, the hard water deposits dissolve.

I just got mine out.  It’s been dry since last summer.  I tried it and it was almost totally clogged.  I let it sit (filled with water) for 1/2 an hour (and shook it a couple of times) and there was a moderate flow rate.  After 1.5 hours the flow is good again.  So I think the hard water deposits dissolved off the filter.

Personally, I wouldn’t store it in water or dilute bleach water long term.  It’s contrary to the instructions and I don’t see what it would accomplish.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

I just got mine out. It’s been dry since last summer. I tried it and it was almost totally clogged. I let it sit (filled with water) for 1/2 an hour (and shook it a couple of times) and there was a moderate flow rate. After 1.5 hours the flow is good again. So I think the hard water deposits dissolved off the filter.

I just reanimated one that’s been in storage since last August or so.  I had to soak it for almost a week before flow returned to (near) normal.  But it did return, so maybe that’ll be a spring ritual now.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

If it’s been out of use/dry-24hr minimum soak should be done.

Marty Cochran
    BPL Member

@mcochran77

Locale: Southern Oregon

I bought this prefilter. It seems like a great idea for silty water.

My problem with it is that I can’t shake out the water when I am done filtering. The weight of a wet filter is 1.5oz, Wet filter+prefilter shaken for 30 seconds is 2.3oz.

Another problem is it is difficult to get on and off so it can’t be used selectively.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

My problem with it is that I can’t shake out the water when I am done filtering. The weight of a wet filter is 1.5oz, Wet filter+prefilter shaken for 30 seconds is 2.3oz.

So reduce the amount of water you carry by 0.77 fluid oz.  :-)

It is disappointing that it’s not easy to get that thing on and off.

Marty Cochran
    BPL Member

@mcochran77

Locale: Southern Oregon

I’m going to revise my previous statement. After removing it a couple of times it is now easy enough to put on/take off that it can be used selectively.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Good to hear. Thanks Marty. I should get a couple of these in the mail today. Very pleased about them, as I was about to give up on BeFree after rapid flow rate loss on all four trips I’ve taken with them. Tannins really seem to be a problem and I’m hoping the pre-filter catches them.

Jimmy Legs
    Spectator

@jimmy-legs

Bummer, says they’re not compatible with Hydrapak containers.  I just checked and, indeed, the ID of the Hydrapak soft bottle is slightly smaller than the BeFree soft bottle.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“Bummer, says they’re not compatible with Hydrapak containers.”

I think it depends on the container. Some Hydrapak containers are compatible. I’ve got a Hydrapak 3L and 4L that work fine with the BeFree filter.

Jimmy Legs
    Spectator

@jimmy-legs

idester, did you mean to say that your 3L and 4L Hydrapaks are compatible with the BeFree PRE-filter?  Thanks

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. No, I don’t know anything about the pre-filter other than what’s in this thread. I was talking about the BeFree filter itself.

I don’t know why it wouldn’t work though if the opening on some Hydrapaks are the same as the opening on the BeFree branded bottles (not all Hydrapaks are).

Jimmy Legs
    Spectator

@jimmy-legs

It’s because the Hydrapak ID is slightly smaller than the BeFree soft bottle.  I just ordered a pre-filter to see if it will work, I may only be able to use it with the BeFree soft bottle though.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I’ve posted this before, but I guess it bears repeating:  When you finish a trip and get home, use DISTILLED water to clean your BeFree.  Put about 8 oz in your bottle, swish it and shake it, then squeeze it through.  Repeat.  This will clear out all the mineral deposits that cause clogging when it dries out and yer good to go!

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Monty, i have found your solution to be the one that works for me.  Probably not necessary in some parts of the country, but in the SW US, there are often tons of Ca+2 ions in the water that precipitate out when dried and clog the filter.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Thanks Monty. I’ll go with that.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

It seems ironic to me that they sell a 1 micron pre-filter to extend the life of their filter.  It seems like it should be included in the original price.  BeFree for ~$40, BeFree-er for an additional $7.  My 2 cents.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

As in a previous thread, if you put bleach in your filter and you have hard water it will form those deposits and clog

Dont put bleach in filter

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools