Topic

Bear canisters are silly–at least I think so

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bear canisters are silly–at least I think so

Viewing 8 posts - 226 through 233 (of 233 total)
  • Author
    Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

” Bearikade Scout, 1 lb 12 ounces, smaller than most canisters so if packs very well indeed. Carries 5 days worth of food plus another breakfast.”

If you’re going to carry one, this is it, IMO.  I can fit it in my ULA OHM with one of the ends against my back, with room for a 1/4″ pad for cushioning.  The amount of food varies with the individual, what they take, how many calories they require/day, and how meticulously they pack it.  5 is not a bad number, but it can go higher.  My only real reservation is based on a picture I saw of a Scout after a grizzly got done playing with it.  I also wonder if it would survive being rolled off a cliff.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Tom,

+1 on your methods and routines. Pretty much what I do.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

As usual this has ended up being an exercise in mental masturbation by the usual suspects. If someone has an innovative alternative to a bear canister I’m sure we’d all love to hear about it – heck we may even buy it.

Lost in all this mental masturbation are simple facts that have been detailed by several others but I’ll repeat them yet again:

– it’s NOT about you
    – it’s NOT about your stupid pack or pack weight – no one but you cares about it
    – it’s NOT primarily about helping you protect your food

– it IS about protecting bears and other wildlife from human food as best as we can. And no there are no perfect solutions
    – the land management agencies are not stupid: they need to come up with pragmatic solutions that work for the vast majority of hikers not just the “special few” so obsessed with their pack weights. They do the best they can given the constraints especially in these most wonderful of times

And now you may continue your fruitless debates; sorry for the interruption!

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“+1 on your methods and routines. Pretty much what I do.”

Coming from one who actually gets out there a lot, that is good to hear.                  Sadly, the thread has degenerated into nastiness, as has so often been the case in recent years, so I’ll take my leave now, probably for good, and leave it to the trolls.

Jon F
    BPL Member

@trangia

This has been an interesting discussion. Sorry for jumping to something back on page 1, but Tipi Walter said:

“This discussion is obviously most relevant to Western trails and thank you Buddha we here in the mountains of TN and NC and Georgia and Virginia DO NOT have to carry these things.”

There are several areas in the western NC mountains where bear canisters are required. I bought one because that’s where I do a lot of my camping/hiking/backpacking. I have yet to see a bear though.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprd3832543

I haven’t looked into any requirements in surrounding states. There are, however, strong recommendations to use bear canisters on the AT in the general area here.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

FYI there is a section of the AT about 5 miles long here in Georgia that requires bear cans seasonally, I think March 1 through June 1 or similar. Only if camping in that area and only for a few months, most folks just plan to not camp in that zone.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I responded to a concept/idea, and one that was talked about by more than one person.  I did so impersonally, and then had a very directed/personal comment and reply sent my way.  But nice try Franco trying to equate them as the same.  Unlike you, I’m not obsessed with you like you are with me.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

mostly I just ignore negative energy posts but looked at Franco’s post and didn’t really see a connection to Justin’s

“can we all get along” – Rodney King

Viewing 8 posts - 226 through 233 (of 233 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools