Topic

Bark Beetle devastating Southern California trees

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Bark Beetle devastating Southern California trees

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Hike it while you can.  From cities to desert, a bark beetle that reproduces inside trees will likely devastate Southern California trees:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-dying-urban-trees-20170403-story.html

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Sounds a lot like the Southern Pine Beetle that ravaged the SE US over the past decade.  Luckily it only attacked pines which are fairly fast growing, but it took many years to get under control.  Hopefully CA takes this seriously.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

polyphagous shot hole borer beetle

Thats a mouthful. Sycamores are an invasive species that the Scot’s are trying to curb.

Didn’t think anything bothered willow.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Between this and our recent high rainfall, fires his year are likely going to be extreme.

Good thing I like the desert; it seems to be our future.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

We’ve been through a few species-specific ones here in the east.  The chestnuts all died long ago.  Now the hemlocks are mostly gone.  The pines are gone.  The ash trees are in process of dieing.  I notice in the northeast, the beeches have some parasite.  Oaks and maples seem to be fine so far.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools