Topic

Bandana or Buff in Linen ? Neck sun protection? Photo prints?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Bandana or Buff in Linen ? Neck sun protection? Photo prints?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Currently I’m using one of those super nerdy hats and experimenting with sun hoodies for extreme hot weather 110* desert travel

I’ve also seen people wear Banda’s or buffs for sun protection

Any recommendations out there for a linen, hemp or otherwise breathable le material that’s lightweight?

Also I see Topo map bandanas but most are cotton…

Finally I’ve been looking a Declan bandana with a sweet print of a sliding flying down a mountain peak – any good sources of photo print Bandanas or Too maps or other designs that are made from linen or hemp?

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I’m follically challenged and usually wear a hat.  I just bought a Buff (original) for the versatility everyone raves about.  I don’t yet have real world testing yet, but it looks pretty flexible.  I got the “Metal Tribal”.

It’s lightweight and breathable.  They make heavier weights for really cold weather.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I would simply go to a good fabric store and buy 2+ yards of a light silk and linen blend fabric, hem the edges or not and wear it folded to suit, over a hat or under a hat, simply draped or tied as you need

My beloved wife makes my bandanas from this fabric and I can’t praise it enough for hot weather use, cotton silk is OK but linen silk is so much lighter and stronger.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have an original UV Insect Shield Buff and love it.  Very light, keeps the sun (and critters) off, and reasonably breezy. I wear it tucked under my collar and over my head “Cornholio-style” with an light ballcap on top. Bonus points for performing double-duty as my pillow case :)

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Get the knock off Buffs, those are made out of polyester microfiber and breathe quite well, plus they’re way cheaper (12 for $16 on Amazon).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

“any good sources of photo print Bandanas or Too maps or other designs that are made from linen or hemp?”

I haven’t seen any.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I’ll wear a synthetic ball cap and knock-off buff (got one free from an Altra display stand) when wintry with potential wind-blown rain, but not in the summer.  Personally I’ve found buffs and the Pata tropical hoody too restrictive in summer, holding in heat. I keep going back to a wide brimmed hat when it’s sunny and hot.

Then again everyone has differing physiology (I run hot when hiking), so YMMV.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I run very hot. I think the idea of buying a swatch of fabric will be my best bet – may as well make my own.

Does anyone have any recommendations for insect shield brands?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

According to my dermatologist–the one who sliced sun induced melanoma off my face–cotton isn’t worth anything as a sun screen.

Solumbra is an excellent fabric for UV protection. Sun Precautions sells hats and clothes made from this fabric. I own their entirely nerdy looking drape hat, which has a HUGE drape that is very very useful indeed during mosquito season–you can draw it up over your nose and have your entire face and neck covered. Once clear of the bugs, you can unfasten the velcro fasteners and let it hang loose. And because it hangs loose while still shading your face and neck,  it stays relatively cool. Oh, and it’s great in snow.

I wear a big brimmed hat with sun screen at altitude as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools