Topic

Baked Parmesan Chips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Baked Parmesan Chips

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Apologies if this is old news –

Parmesan cheese (the real stuff) finely grated, packed into a tablespoon measure, spread on parchment, baked at 400°F for 6 minutes, and blotted –

The “chips” are crunchy, salty, and tasty.  I don’t think they will be durable. I have no idea how long the will last in the wild. By themselves or as a crumbled condiment they are great.

Credit goes to my fair wife, preparing for her next backpacking trip.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Yummy. We sell a lot of these where I work

http://parmcrisps.com

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ve had store-bought versions of these before and they are reasonably tasty and high in calories and fat. They do crumble but I’m not above pouring the contents into my mouth (I’m a crushed frito/pringle kind of guy).

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Most cheeses ‘sweat’ oil (the oil separates) when they get warm. Is this meant to stop the sweating, or just reduce the water weight? If the oil sweats out and you blot if off, how calorie dense is the cheese still?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

Philip I agree with your observation – some calories are lost.  But appearance, crunch and flavor offset that loss.  Variety is second to calories, until you can’t get the calories down.  Then variety is king.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Local health food stores carry at least four brands of baked cheese chips of various flavors, including parmesan. And I’ve been mail-ordering “Just the Cheese” brand for several years:

https://www.justthecheese.com

Nice to know cheese chips are easy to make at home – I might give that a try.

I like to switch it up, since eating anything like that repeatedly gets old fast. As Greg said, variety is king. Or a supposedly old Army saying: doesn’t matter how many calories you give a man if he won’t eat them.

— Rex

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Those parmesan cheese chips are purest crack.  CRACK I tell you!  If you have the slightest issue with self-control and food, do not even try them.

Adam Holbrook
    Spectator

@pharmer

Locale: SW Ohio

I’ve been wanting to try a store brand. Sounds like they’re worth a shot based on your responses. Thanks for the recommendation. Can’t have too many options for tasty snacks.  I bet the homemade ones are delicious too.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

You can get your crack baked Parmesan chips fix at Costco for a while:

Cello Parmesan Whisps 9.5 oz

My bag lasted a whole day :-)

— Rex

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Pretty good, Rex!  I think I might have lasted a few hours max, myself.

If only I could figure out how to be satisfied with less than a bag (or more) full of crispy salty things in a sitting.  So far it eludes me for the most part.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools