Topic

Bad Tasting Backpacking Food

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Bad Tasting Backpacking Food

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian W
    BPL Member

@empedocles

What food did you bring on a trip that turned out far worse than expected?  This can be preprocessed bars and meals or recipes that just didn’t turn out good.

I have two that comes to mind. The first is Idaho Potatoes. These ended up being far more salty than I cared for. The second is a tuna fish sandwich. It tasted fine going down, but I felt terrible afterwards.  I’m just not a fan of mixing can fish and hiking.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

A lot of time the level of salt in a dish is dependent upon the amount of water added.  In freeze-dried meals this is a huge issue.  People think that a little extra water certainly won’t hurt, since they are quite dehydrated themselves…and then discover the meal is pallid and lacking flavor.

We like those potatoes, but we may make them with less water than you do!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I really like dried salmon, but do not care for tuna when I am hiking. It never seems to settle. I had some dehydrated chicken that just refused to rehydrate…even after two boilings and an hour of steeping.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

All bars seem worse than they should be considering how popular they are.

Instant coffee

I don’t cook, just snack constantly. Snack should be delicious.

Brian W
    BPL Member

@empedocles

It’s weird when stuff takes good at home, but it doesn’t digest quite right when on the trail. Both of the items I mentioned I like at home. But they failed me when hiking.

Now, for some bizarre reason, I prefer ramen on the trail, but I don’t really care that much for it at home.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Superfood Slam Probars for breakfast on 14 of 21 days on the JMT was not a good idea. ::gag::

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Stuff usually tastes better in the field.  Mountain House meals are awful at home.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

For me….I cannot eat Mountain House. I ate it a lot when I was younger and one day in the summer of 2003 I made a bag, went to eat it and nearly threw up. I couldn’t get past the smell. It smelled like cleaning spray (it had vinegar in it, it was some Asian-faux meal). That meal was what propelled me to write about trail food, and influenced every trail recipe I created after.

I don’t like meals that thick liquid with pasty weird pasta floating in it as well (think most MH meals, where it is a lot of liquid).

Don’t like most energy bars. Too thick, dense and weird texture from the protein powders uses.

Don’t like tuna either. Just sits in my stomach.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools