Topic

backpacks that allow for the ability to reach a water bottle in the side pocket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) backpacks that allow for the ability to reach a water bottle in the side pocket

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Michael Kirby
    BPL Member

@strider518

Locale: Whatcom County

My internal frame backpack has a side pocket where my water bottle is stored. I do not have the flexibility to reach ‘backwards’ to pull it out for a quick drink while walking. I end up like a dog chasing its’ tail. I’ve experimented with Outdoor Research pockets that attach with velcro. They work really well but, of course,  place the weight of the water bottle on the hip belt. Can anyone recommend a lightweight internal frame back that I might be able to grasp the water bottle while wearing the pack? I thank you in advance!

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Everyone has different ability to reach behind, so trying out a pack is really the best way – a fully loaded pack, since it will fit differently depending on how much is in it. However…I have found that even with packs with pockets that are way back, if I just loosen the shoulder straps, I can easily swing around and grab a bottle. Using smooth bottles like Smart water bottles also helps, rather than bottles with any kind of ridges, like Gatorade ones.

I have two packs that I use exclusively – Granite Gear VC Crown and Granite Gear Blaze. Not sure if either are light enough for your purpose. They both work great for me.

I also regularly stretch my shoulders and arms (and the rest of me!). Doing yoga postures like thread the needle, and prayer hands in back, are good for opening up the shoulders. It makes everything easier, including reaching for water bottles, getting myself in and out of boats, etc.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

These days most packs that have bottle holders make them out of spandex or some other idiotically stretchy material.  With these, even if you can get the bottle out, it’s unlikely you can get it back in with one hand.  Look for pockets that have an adjustable top so you can cinch them to the perfect tightness for your particular bottle(s).  ULA Equipment’s packs are excellent in this regard.

But that may or may not help if you can’t reach back at all.  I always carry a small (~20 oz) Gatorade bottle that I hang on a shoulder strap.  The big bottles go in the side pockets, and I can refill the small bottle from them at rest stops.

The ULA packs have the straps built in, but you can make your own out of stock bungee material or even ponytail holders:

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

As Karen said, it’s very subjective to the individual and the pack, as well as how that pack is loaded. I’ve come across numerous complaints about the HMG_Southwest being cumbersome to reach, but have never had any issues myself. I find putting the bottle in the left pocket to reach with my right hand works best. I’m also right handed. So would it go to say, that a left handed person would find it easier to reach from the left to the right pocket? probably. When my pack is full out loaded, I do loosen the left strap slightly to get to it sometimes. Also using a slim and tall easy to reach 1L Smartwater bottle helps.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I think ULA’s Ohm 2.0 has the most useful and reachable side pockets of any framed pack I have ever used.

I have noticed that wider packs make it easier to reach bottles in the side pockets than narrower packs. Just something to be aware of.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I think the REI Flash 55 has pretty good pockets for this…I think if you wear your pack hipbelt lower on your hips its easier to get at that water bottle pocket…If you wear the hipbelt higher and have short arms it’s not so easy.

Kelly C
    BPL Member

@drsolarmolar-2

I’m not super flexible, but for me on both my Osprey Exos and GG Mariposa I can easily reach a water bottle in the (right) side water bottle pocket.  However, my primary water bottle holder is a Justin’s UL pocket hung on my right shoulder strap.  Carry a 1 liter Smartwater or Lifewater bottle there.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

This one:  Though the water bottle holder is on the packs ‘floating’ hip-belt as described in the linked review:

“The combination of floating hipbelt and water/bear canister positioning created a lot of confidence as I scrambled up and over a talus field to reach my destination, and even felt steady as I navigated the downhill the next day”

Nunatak is developing a smaller 25 liter version for use with smaller canisters. ‘Bear” (haha) in mind that a significant portion of your pack’s volume is now removed from the main pack to the attached canister. I can easily get a week+ of gear in the 25 L pack and food/smellables in the bearikade weekender.

The floating hip-belt belt reminded me immediately of the old Stephenson Warmlite pack frames with their hip-belt suspension where the weight was so effectively transferred to your hips that except to keep the pack upright and not flopping around you could have dispensed with shoulder straps. I.E you could transfer ALL the weight to your hips or adjust a balance of weight transfer between hips and shoulders. I haven’t tried this pack on the trail yet but that is what I’ve experienced in wearing it for short trial walks.  The 25 L is narrow and with the hip-belt feels really like an extension of your torso. Just rides naturally. No frame. Though can’t imagine needing one.

Enyaw
    Spectator

@enyaw

The ULA front shoulder strap bottle holders are the best.  They used to come standard on ULA packs- mine came with two.  I think they are an add-on now.  If you don’t have a ULA pack you can purchase the bottle holders from ULA for your pack.  I carry one liter up front and the rest of my water is in the side pocket(s).

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

it’s not what the OP asked about but multiple people have mentioned moving a bottle up to the front strap. I have used ULA’s bottle hangers (just thick shockcord and a heavy duty toggle) for many miles but I found them a bit fiddly. I have tried several different bottle pockets that attach to shoulder strap daisy chains and I strongly prefer Zimmerbuilt’s bottle pocket. I usually carry a normal size Gatorade bottle in this and I find it has very little bounce and stays out of my line of site. I usually don’t bother adjusting the toggle, the bottle just slides in/out without any drama. I have also used the pocket for other items like a headnet, phone, snacks, or bandana when the mood strikes. It’s a helpful piece of kit.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

+1 on small bottle on the shoulder strap. I  started doing that the past couple of years and my hiking partner has done that for 15 years. I like having the bottle right there, reminding me to sip. I started out with some old Mountainsmith bottle pockets from the 90’s and then moved to a bottle clip + bungee system, which worked okay and proved the concept for me.

I bought my newest pack (SD Flex Capacitor 25-40) because it has mesh pockets on both shoulder straps as well as side pockets that I can reach. I keep a 750m bottle on the strap and then stuff in the side pockets that I don’t need as often like a larger water pouch or wind jacket. I am kind of concerned about the mesh stretching out or tearing, but so far it seems sturdy.

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

+1 on the Osprey Exos.  Side pocket has a hole pointing forward-ish so that a 1L water bottle is easy enough to grab by a non-contortionist like me.

Jason
    BPL Member

@hermantherugger

In my experience…

Really Easy

Pretty Easy

Moderate (kinda tough, only able to do it with one bottle per side, etc)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I can reach a bottle in a side pocket if it is a 20oz bottle, not if it is a 1L bottle. I also have a bottle holster attached to a hip belt that is easier to reach.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

As Matthew said, the OHM 2.0 side pockets, and all earlier versions for that matter, are very easy to access.  Like him, I have found them the easiest of any pack I’ve ever used.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’m reviewing and testing the Arc’teryx Aerios 45 right now. It has the *easiest* accessible side pockets of any pack I’ve ever used other than a McHale with the wand/side pockets setup in its angled-towards-the-front config. It’s very well done, and would be worth mimicking!

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Moderate (kinda tough, only able to do it with one bottle per side, etc)

ULA Circuit
    HMG Windrider/HMG Southwest/HMG Junction

I rest my case ;)

Andrew P
    Spectator

@ap_az

Another vote for moving the bottle to the front of the shoulder strap. I’ve had really good luck using ULA’s shock cord solution with a 1L smartwater bottle. To make it even easier I modified a drink tube (straw) setup I found on amazon to allow for drinking without removing the bottle or using my hands at all. It added about an ounce of weight but is well worth it for ease-of-use.

As an aside, ULA recently released an actual pocket as an alternative to the shock cord setup. I haven’t tried it, but it looks like a good solution to the shock cord being cumbersome.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I’m reviewing and testing the Arc’teryx Aerios 45 right now.

@RyanJordan
    I’ll be interested to see this review, but I doubt I’d ever own another Arcteryx pack. They resolutely refuse to offer a forward pull belt, despite the fact  it’s been the industry standard for 20 years.  They’re completely indifferent to consumer input… perhaps you’ll have some influence.

Michael Kirby
    BPL Member

@strider518

Locale: Whatcom County

Wow! I am overwhelmed with the response to my question. A big thank you to all! I will read each suggestion carefully as time allows. Thanks again.

Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

Interested in this pack so I look forward to the review Ryan.  Let me know what you think on the bungee tensioning system.  Was wondering about their durability and how well they hold without having to be retightened.  I love that it has a running style vest harness with nice big pockets and a duel sternum tensioners instead of one.  I’m also intrigued to see how their liquid crystal polymer ripstop cordura nylon performs when in harsh environments.  Thanks in advance and lets us know how it preformed

talagnu
    BPL Member

@talagnu

bottles are easy to reach on my ks ultralight ks50

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Flex Capacitor – easy to reach for my stiff shoulders. Plus, this is a great all around pack at a fair price.

LK

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

McHale!

Finnegan McBrisket
    BPL Member

@joephish-2

Locale: SF Bay Area

Nunatak Bear Ears has the most accessible water bottle holders I’ve ever used.

Osprey Exos and Seek Outside Flight Two are also excellent for me.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools