Topic

Backpackinglight.com 2020-2021 Website Development Timeline

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Backpackinglight.com 2020-2021 Website Development Timeline

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

In this post, we share about Backpacking Light’s plans for its next phase of website development. Over the past several months, we have been vetting enterprise website development agencies. We have made our final decision and are excited to announce that we are building a new site and plan to launch it in 2021.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

” We now block 30% of attempted traffic to the BPL site. This traffic is the direct result of malicious bots and known hacking networks attempting to steal passwords and other user data, overwhelm server resources, and inject malware into the site.”

I knew the web was a rough place, but I did not know it was this bad!

Hang in there.
    Cheers

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

We get brute force (e.g., bot login attempts) attacks – each one from a different IP – at least once per second. It’s nuts.

And they love to target users who have easy-to-guess passwords or ones that have already been compromised. Play your cards close when it comes to passwords.

Elizabeth S
    BPL Member

@lizzyshoe

The new search looks slick as hell. This whole writeup gives me a lot of confidence in the future of BPL. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Roger

“I knew the web was a rough place, but I did not know it was this bad!”

It’s mostly script-kiddies running fairly innocuous of-the-shelf hacks, plus generic Russian, North Korean and Chinese hack-bots looking for unpatched vulnerabilities.

Nowadays the developers, operating systems, languages, frameworks and hosting environments are far more security conscious – it’s actually easier to write a relatively secure site than it used to be, despite the volume of attacks.

Of course nothing on the open web is truly secure, but for a small operation like this you can pretty much ensure that the cost of a bespoke hack would be greater than the value of the data, so you don’t attract the attention of the real pros.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

And we thought it was bad when we had the shoe-bots!

Cheers
    PS: yes, I know who is doing the attacks. They annoy me.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I knew the web was a rough place, but I did not know it was this bad!

With my tiny blog I now have three services to protect my site. Two I pay for and cost me $400 per year. My site has had 3.5 million page views in 12 years, meaning it is a very small blog.  Keep in mind my site is free, so I had to finally include ads to pay for security, web hosting fees, etc.

From the beginning I turned off the viewer comments feature. For several years I would sometimes get hundreds of comments per day, but none could be published, but they took up resources and time to delete. I was finally able to block that.

A couple years ago or so, someone was able to add code to a widget, which showed the temperature in Palm Springs, on my site that would mine bitcoin using a visitor’s computer. That was a mess.

Brute Force attempts the past two years caught by just one of my security programs.

And so it goes. Another service blocks IP address that attempt to log in to the admin site. That goes in batches by country. Eastern Europe, China, Indonesia, etc. Each of my three security services catches things the other two don’t.

From all of this I can really appreciate the time, money, and effort Ryan has to constantly invest in BPL.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I do have a sort of bushwalking blog, an old one, but it is hard-coded in HTML and has no 3rd-party SW and no user comments. I made it strictly Read-Only.

Cheers

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Roger – Sometimes, old-school is the best school :)

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Glad to see BPL’s growth and looking forward to the enhancements. I don’t know if it’s related to those, but in the last few days I’m experiencing link misdirection and lack of permissions – I’ll click on a forum notification, only to be redirected to a different thread or to see a message that I don’t have permission to see those threads (I’m a longtime Lifetime/Unlimited member).

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

EMOJIS! WE WANT EMOJIS!

(Well maybe not “The Finger” emojis oe poop emojis or kiss emojis but just a nice selection of face emojis – in all skin colors.)

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Wait – what? You can’t use emojis? 🤔 we should be able to fix that 🙏

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

You’re going to put an emoji button menu in the formatting bar?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

^ I hope not…

But on the Mac, hold down the Control and Command keys and the spacebar all at one time. This brings up the emoji screen. Select the one you want and voila…🐾

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I hope we don’t once again lose a bunch of members due to subscription snafus.  Should we expect all our saved links, subscriptions etc to be lost when the change is made. I lost so much it’s still annoying to think about.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Keep your user data, or get an emoji button? Can’t have it all (wink) 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools