Topic

Backpacking Trip Recommendations for me and my Teen Son

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Backpacking Trip Recommendations for me and my Teen Son

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    David M
    BPL Member

@cledmartin

Hey everyone thank you for all of the input.  I’ve spent a lot of time looking at the various trails and trying to digest your input to figure out which wilderness areas to focus on the next stage of planning.  I’d appreciate some additional feedback.

Here is my current trip criteria:

• Our best trip week will be first week in June (6/3-6/10) (hopefully the kids can get jobs after)
    • Target is ~60 miles at 10-12 miles per day
    • I’ve extended our reach – I’m open to driving max 8 hours from an airport, but hopefully less
    • Thinking either fly into Denver or Albuquerque depending on destination

My current thinking on locations – I’d appreciate input in 3 areas – (1. Good area for this type of trip; 2. Massive Snow risk this time of year; 3. Wildfire risk this time of year)

1. Northern areas of the Pecos Wilderness – lots of people said Pecos is a great area to go, but there were several flags raised about fire risk.  I’m thinking maybe the Trucas Peaks, Jicarilla, Trampas, or Jicarita areas.
    2. Connect some routes in the Columbine-Hondo, Wheeler, maybe Latir wilderness areas
    3. Spanish Peaks was recommended, but I see mostly 1-2 day trips – if there are loops/lollipops, I’m open.
    4. Lost Creek Wilderness
    5. Any others?  Or is this early in June just a bad idea in this area of the country?

Thanks again!

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools