Backpacking Trip Recommendations for me and my Teen Son
Mar 4, 2023 at 8:05 pm #3774887David MBPL Member
Hey everyone thank you for all of the input. I’ve spent a lot of time looking at the various trails and trying to digest your input to figure out which wilderness areas to focus on the next stage of planning. I’d appreciate some additional feedback.
Here is my current trip criteria:
- Our best trip week will be first week in June (6/3-6/10) (hopefully the kids can get jobs after)
- Target is ~60 miles at 10-12 miles per day
- I’ve extended our reach – I’m open to driving max 8 hours from an airport, but hopefully less
- Thinking either fly into Denver or Albuquerque depending on destination
My current thinking on locations – I’d appreciate input in 3 areas – (1. Good area for this type of trip; 2. Massive Snow risk this time of year; 3. Wildfire risk this time of year)
- Northern areas of the Pecos Wilderness – lots of people said Pecos is a great area to go, but there were several flags raised about fire risk. I’m thinking maybe the Trucas Peaks, Jicarilla, Trampas, or Jicarita areas.
- Connect some routes in the Columbine-Hondo, Wheeler, maybe Latir wilderness areas
- Spanish Peaks was recommended, but I see mostly 1-2 day trips – if there are loops/lollipops, I’m open.
- Lost Creek Wilderness
- Any others? Or is this early in June just a bad idea in this area of the country?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Our Community Posts are Moderated
Backpacking Light community posts are moderated and here to foster helpful and positive discussions about lightweight backpacking. Please be mindful of our values and boundaries and review our Community Guidelines prior to posting.