Topic

Backpacking Scissors (Reviews and Test Results)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Backpacking Scissors (Reviews and Test Results)

• This topic has 31 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Gumbo.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Companion forum thread to: Backpacking Scissors (Reviews and Test Results)

The most comprehensive review of backpacking scissors for ultralight hiking and camping: 11 models compared in 13 tests! You just may leave your knife at home.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Did you do any testing on which set of scissors was best for running?

JK. Fun and informative write up on the lowly scissors. Thanks for the contribution.

folecr r
    Spectator

@folecr

Thanks for the article!

I own a SAK Rambler https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Rambler-Pocket-Knife/dp/B000FNFXQS/ but am frustrated with the tweezer when I really need it (removing splinters). I now take bigger tweezers and a cheap pair of scissors instead.

BTW I’ve found this small nail clipper works very well although I leave it in the car rather than take it along

Penny Vann
    BPL Member

@reverse

Thank-You so Much. Great Job.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

The scissors I use didn’t make the review…

Gingher 01-005102 Lightweight Embroidery Scissors, 4-Inch

0.6 oz

I carry these along with a razor blade.   Never carry a knife unless I’m planning to wrestle alligators.

Gordon Bedford
    BPL Member

@gbedford

Locale: Victoria, Australia

Great review but I use these -Westcott Sewing titanium bonded fine cut scissors 2.5″.

Very light and seem to work well. Probably not as robust as the Cuda, but has a fine point which is very useful. I carry a very light (Deejo) knife for more taxing tasks.

Use a little piece of tubing over the tip as has been mentioned before.

Gordon

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I also had a pair of westcotts…until recently…discovered that some betadine (iodine) had leaked in one of my FAKs, which corroded them shut! Titanium not so inert after all.

Damn nice scissors though. Can’t remember the weight. But performance, although I never tested toe nails, they would smash all the other tests in this review.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

I carry the Victorinox SwissCard scissors, which I’m very happy with (along with, sometimes, a 34g 2½”-blade folding knife – sue me). Couple people asked about sheaths – I use a 1¼” length of 5/16″ heat shrink tubing, sealed at one end. Weighs < 0.2g, and never had a problem with it. Unlike a knife sheath there are no sharp edges acting on the sheath – all it needs to do is keep the scissors closed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools