Topic

Backpack recommendation can hold bear canister inside or out

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpack recommendation can hold bear canister inside or out

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Liz Black
    Spectator

@backpacking4ever

My gear with fuel is about 20 pounds at most, need JMT thru canister water and ridge rest outside pack. I think I can get away with 35-40 l pack … that’s ja for advice

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

35-40 lb is too much if you can arrange weekly caches which will put a ceiling on food weight..  Shoot for no more than 25 lb for the fully loaded pack, plus the weight of the bear canister when empty and amount of water you prefer to carry for a day. It may take some research on BPL, but you’ll have more fun, less chance of injury, your body will thank you, and you’ll have a better chance of backpacking in the ‘golden’ years.

Liz Black
    Spectator

@backpacking4ever

Need to buy – bivy tent or sack, pack and quilt for JMT Max 6 pounds – what do you have ?

Liz Black
    Spectator

@backpacking4ever

Thanks so much – I’m 60 and backpacked 5 years ago extensively with 25 pounds max for 4 nights- fully packed and want to go to about 12 without canister/food – had a bivy and loved it – I need to buy new gear now and wonder what’s the latest with the big three- budget approx $800

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Liz, do you have a gearlist as a spreadsheet or lighterpack?

Does the 20# number include food? Terms you will often hear around BPL include Baseweight and Total Pack Weight.

BW = everything in you pack except fuel, water and food (which can be called consumables).

TPW = BW + Consumables

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Also, common advice is to buy your pack last.

35-40 liter pack is pretty small. You have to make rigorous gear choices for that to work well.

I’m not a fan of carrying a bear can outside of my pack. I prefer carrying it inside for better weight distribution. YMMV.

Also, it would be helpful if you could give us some background on your experience level. It sounds like you might be relatively new to backpacking (sorry if I’m incorrect here, no offense meant). I suggest you start a new thread with a quick hiking/backpacking bio and what your plan is for the JMT (days, direction, approximate permit start date) and then we can help you sort things out.

Liz Black
    Spectator

@backpacking4ever

Used to with old equipment years ago but now I need to buy all new and want to go the lightest
    Been a long time and now I remember the lingo, thanks for that. Yes it included tpw for 4 days.

Liz Black
    Spectator

@backpacking4ever

Good point – I’ll go do that now – lived in CA and backpacked light for 10 years in Yosemite 90’s and to around 2015 – most out there was one week.

Liz Black
    Spectator

@backpacking4ever

Updated my profile with this info, also added my backpacking trips link for YouTube channel- I’ll do new thread next.

Liz Black
    Spectator

@backpacking4ever

Thanks

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Bear can – I only used one once, rented, in yosemite. Huge and bulky, would not want to carry outside pack. Nice to store food in it also, which makes carrying outside even worse.

I’ve used 35L pack for short trips but wouldn’t consider such a small pack for being out a week at a time and with a bear canister. The one we rented fit in my wife’s 60L pack with all the other gear stuffed around it.

Check out six moon designs, they have some good lightweight shelters that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

For quilts check out Hammock Gear (not only hammock gear), Enlightened Equipment, or Underground Quilts

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Im a proponent of having a pack big enough to actually hold all your gear….

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Liz, I have put together a bunch of  links with all kinds of info on lightening your load for newcomers to make it easier to find  some of the answers to questions they have so here is a link to more links.START HERE .   I also PM’d you  so check there for some JMT specific info that might help you also, and of course have fun.

Liz Black
    Spectator

@backpacking4ever

Ohhhh. Love you lots !!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools